Crowdfunding is a fantastic way to build buzz around your start-up, art project or social cause. But what happens when that campaign is over? It’s often difficult to keep the momentum going in the lag between raising money and fulfilling your project goals.
Customer Social Networks Drive Engagement
You don’t actually own your backer list – you’re basically stuck with the communication options your crowdfunding platform provides. Reply-all style updates are nice, but more personalized interaction is much more difficult. That’s where a custom social network comes in. With your own community, you can:
- Keep your fans involved with exclusive content
- Easily respond to questions
- Create simple feedback loops
Free Kickstarting Community eBook
To learn more about how a custom social network can transform your crowdfunding campaign to a real movement, check out our eBook entitled Kickstarting Community: Custom Social Networks for Crowdfunding.
Hey everyone! September is over so its time to take a look at what has been happening this month with the SocialEngine community!
New Add-ons and Updates:
Ultimate Social Music Solution – Add a music player to your site with this wonderful plugin!
PHPfox Importer – The PHPfox Importer for SocialEngine will transfer your data and content from your old PHPfox website to your new SocialEngine PHP website in a short span of time. continue reading
The best way to collaborate is with community. In the world of crowdfunding and online connectivity, community can be defined as any group of people who share your passion, hobby or vision enough that they are willing to open their wallet and chip in. In other words they are willing to “show you the money.”
An online community (such as the type you can create with SocialEngine enables participants to:
- rapidly share information
- make suggestions
- respond to your ideas and
- create an environment for viral growth of participation.
In reality there are two types of online communities.
These are online communities representing a specific geographic area. For example you are creating a project to raise money for a new shelter for animals in your town. In this case the primary (but not the only) community audience and members will be people who live in your town.
These communities are national or even global in scope and usually based on common interests. Maybe you are creating a new world-music CD or a film about climate change. Your audience can live anywhere in the world and participate in the outcome of your efforts.
It’s About Passion
In both of the above cases the creation of an online community with people who share your passion will provide significant value to your project and fundraising efforts. In the first type of community you might consider connecting the real world to the online world.
Offline to Online
How? First, create your online community with a solid platform. Second, promote your vision and your online community in the real world. Put up flyers in coffee houses, grocery stores, pet supply stores, veterinarian offices. What you want to do is move people from the real world to your online community. This may be the fastest way to grow a base of people who will be willing to participate in your crowdfunding campaign. Rather than start with your hand out; start with a community where people can really get excited about your ideas. Then they will naturally share and grow your community to the point where you have a large audience that can make it easier to reach your crowdfunding goals.
If your online community represents a much larger geographic area then your starting ground is going to be online also. Go to web sites; blogs; Facebook pages and even other communities to connect with and aggregate people who will join YOUR online community. If you already have a decent network or email list, start with that. The goal is the same as with a specific geographic area. You want to connect with people who are going to be passionate about sharing ideas and contributing funds because they like what you are doing.
Free Kickstarting Community E-Book
Get the free crowdfunding E-book Kickstarting Community: Custom Social Networks for Crowdfunding.
Over the past couple of months SocialEngine has made available importer scripts for Ning 2.0 and PHPfox.
In celebration for the first 10 days of October (Oct 1 – 10) we are offering 10% off your purchase of SocialEngine PHP. Use code “SocialEnginePHP10″ at checkout to SAVE 10%.
The Ning and PHPfox scripts have been widely applauded from the developer community.
Here are a few samples of the reviews on the PHPfox importer script:
In both cases, experts from each platform volunteered their time, energy and effort to help our development team, and that of SocialEngineAddOns, ensure the scripts were thoroughly tested. Much love to them.
For those of you considering alternatives for your Ning and PHPfox sites we now have a easy migration path to SocialEngine.
Ning Importer Script Info:
Check out our Ning Importer article, or refer to this video tutorial created by Ex Creators the Ning experts who helped SocialEngine test the import script.
PHPfox Importer Script Info:
The PHPfox importer script is being offered by SocialEngineAddOns. Access the script here.
Enter code “SocialEnginePHP10″ at checkout and save 10% off SocialEngine PHP.
The SocialEngine Team.
Hey everyone! August is over so its time to take a look at what has been happening this month with the SocialEngine community!
New Add-ons and Updates:
Page Builder and Shortcodes Plugin – This plugin has various elements which you can use in widgets as well as in shortcodes on Pages.
Store Bundle plugin – Store Bundle product addon allows to increase the sales of your store through providing users with discounts for buying several products at once. An administrator can create multiple “bundles” on the different products. continue reading
A couple years back we had the honor of receiving the CMSCritic award for Best Social Networking Solution. We were given this award thanks to all of you who took the time to show your support by voting for us at cmscritic.com and this year we want to do it again!
Nominations are currently open for the 2015 CMSCritic awards and we can only do this with your help. There are a few stages to this competition but the first thing we all need to do is nominate SocialEngine for the following awards:
- Best Social Network Software
- Best Website Builder
- Best CMS for Communities
- Best CMS for Small to Midsize Business
- Best CMS for Personal Websites
You can help out by clicking the graphic below and filling out the nomination form.
Thanks so much to everyone for supporting us. Now let’s go win this thing!
The dog days of August? No way. We’re cranking away.
Here’s what went down in August:
- Comment editing launched
- Kept up on bug fixes. As always you can look at August Release Notes in our SocialEngine Developer Community
- Worked on new hosting partnerships
- Started to set up an enterprise pipeline
- Promoted the launch of phpfox importer
- Collecting issues stated for next release of SocialEngine PHP (4.8.10)
- Did an eBook on crowdfunding
- Worked on the rebrand launch plan
Plan for September
- Start collecting feedback from SocialEngine PHP and SocialEngine PHP demo users
- Create a more seamless experience for getting technical SocialEngine PHP support
- Continue Ning outreach on Quora, converter showcase
- Setup an area for 3rd party demo sites to see whats possible with SocialEngine PHP
As always, we love your continued support of SocialEngine.
We are happy to announce the launch of a 3rd party PHPfox importer script for SocialEngine PHP. Developers looking for a PHPfox alternative now have an easy-to-use tool that was throughly tested on large customized PHPfox sites.
PHPfox Import Script is available for purchase at:
What gets imported?
The SocialEngineAddOns PHPfox importer tool will transfer:
- Pages & Groups
- Marketplace Listings
- Activity Feed
- Nested Comments
- Private Messaging
- Account Privacy
- Custom Fields
- SEO – Meta Keywords & Description
- Custom Pages
- Ad Campaigns
- Banned Users
- Facebook and Janrain Users
- Admin Settings …. and many more
How do I do it?
First step: purchase a SocialEngine PHP license $299-$699.
Next: visit SocialEngineAddOns PHPfox import tool resource page to get started for only $29.
SocialEngine offers the best in stable, functional, and up-to-date social networking software. SocialEngine dedicates significant time and resources towards making improvements and upgrades. Also, SocialEngine is constantly improving our approach to customer experience, making it a top priority to ensure website admins receive quality support.
With this SocialEngineAddOns PHPfox import tool, your PHPfox community will transfer seamlessly and you can pick up right where you left off.
We’re happy to announce the Comment Editing feature is now live on SocialEngine Cloud.
Comment editing allows users to edit the comments and attachments placed as comments within SocialEngine Cloud.
The default for comment editing is never. Activate this new functionality on your site site today.
Two New Admin Features
Go to: Admin Control Panel->Settings->Comments
Allow Comment Editing
Lets members edit comments and add if attachments are enables the ability to delete them.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Up to 1 minute after commenting
- up to 5 minutes after commenting
- Up to 30 minutes after commenting
- Up to 24 hours after commenting
- Up to one week after commenting
Allow Attachments in Comments
Allows for links and attachments to be added to a comment.
- Select one of three options:
- Do not allow attachments in comments
- Only allow link attachments
- Allow links and uploaded files
- Edit and Delete functionality are visible to the content originator in the comment box
- If a comment has been edited, the edit time will appear to all readers
- A new attachment icon is now visible in the bottom right of the comment box to the comment originator
- The comment originator will see the ability to edit or delete the comment.
- When edit is selected the comment text box is highlighted and cursor becomes active to make any changes
- Comment originator can change the comment , enter to save, or esc too cancel. I one cancels a pop up will alert you of unsaved changes
- If the user leaves without saving a notification box will appear to warn you of unsaved changes
If a link is inserted into the original comment the user is able to:
- See a preview of the linked content
- Select a thumbnail
- Edit linked post title and description
Being able to add attachments to comments is available by clicking on the attachment icon in the bottom right of the comment box. With attachments:
- GIFs can be added to comments through attachments
- Attachments without a title or description will appear as full-size images once the page is refreshed
- As the comment attachment originator you can delete the attachment and upload a new attachment to the comment. One cannot edit the title or description of the attachment
We hope you take these new features live, we know your members will love it.
The SocialEngine Team.
July was a month of major strides and setting us up for a really productive August.
Highlights from July
- On the heels of our Ning Import script we have begun reaching out to Ning Experts for feedback and helping customers set up SocialEngine communities as a Ning alternative. If you’re interested in swathing from Ning, start here
- PHPfox import script is being developed by a 3rd party with help from PHPfox experts
- Lots of feedback, input and exchanges on our SocialEngine PHP 4.9 roadmap. Join the party in the bug tracker
- Comment editing is very close to being done
- Small fixes to SocialEngine Cloud around media manager and members page, plus a big cleanup of the admin code
- Finalizing release of beta/new website
Planned for August
- Launch comment editing
- Integrate Intercom
- Establish outreach to developers seeking a Reddit alternative
- Stay the course and get our site launched
- Work on Marketplace submission rules – our goal is to create a trusted ecosystem of plugins that are just as good as the core product
- Continue community engagement with SocialEngine PHP 4.9 roadmap
- Promote the PHPfox import script
- Continue engagement with Ning Creator experts offering SocialEngine as a Ning alternative