SocialEngine 4 Announced

The SocialEngine team has been carefully planning the upcoming version of SocialEngine, SE4, since April. With planning now nearly complete and development already underway, we aim to roll out SE4 by early winter.

This new version will involve a complete rewrite of the platform itself, leveraging the Zend framework to make it almost perfectly modular and extensible. The frontend will be W3C-standards compliant and more accessible for mobile devices. Not to mention a million times sexier.

To support the development effort (as well as the support demands from our 800 new clients since April), we’ve added three bright new minds to the team.

Keep an eye out for more details about SocialEngine 4 in the coming weeks!

Update: As a follow up to this post, we will continue to support Social Engine 3 after the release of SE4 for several months at least. The upgrade fee has not yet been set but should be nominal.

We will be providing an upgrade script for SE3 to SE4, although it will only import your data – this will not include templates or customizations you’ve made. Since the new platform is a complete rewrite of the core using the Zend framework, third-party plugins developed for SE3 will not be compatible with SE4.

1. Ryan
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 10:30 am | Permalink

This sounds great! I can't wait until it is released!

2. Nagendra
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I Hope that Socialengine4 Is very Good and Nice Look Also. All the Best to Social Engine Team for that Great Work.

3. Sidhaarthaa
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Great initiative am sure , focusing on mobile devices will be great and has a tremendous potential. I look forward to the new release. Best of luck

4. MechanisM
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Any Demos?

5. Alexander Peter
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Mega News COOL

6. Steve Davies
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Noam, as a recent convert to SE this sounds exciting. Please tell me that you've been keeping a close eye on the forthcoming Anahita Social Engine and have new functionality to match.

7. choudhury
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Great news! What is going to happen to the user's for 3.0. Can we move to 4.0 easily or that will require a complete revamp? Thanks

8. Pablo S
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Great! We'll be looking for SE4.

Pablo

9. Jamal
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Great job ! I hope it will support "RTL" layout :)

one more question, if I already have SEv3, How much SEv4 will cost ( The upgrading Only ) + what about the plugins ?!

Thanks in advance

10. third party
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 5:18 am | Permalink

please allow enough time for third party to upgrade their plugins to v4 before stopping support for v3.

11. Alex
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Great! Great! Great!

12. Rain
    Posted September 4, 2009 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Great news! Thanks!

13. Odin
    Posted September 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Where can I post development suggestions for SE v4. Is there a forum dedicated to the development? how can I be part of the beta testing? How soon will you release framework and application standards for third party developers?

14. Rodrigo
    Posted September 5, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

It took me 3 months and some money to pay someone to translate SE3 completely to Portuguese. I hope you guys make SE4 compatible with SE3 Language Pack, so I can still use my translation. Thanks

15. Bursa haber
    Posted September 6, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Thanks Excellent!..

16. Neil
    Posted September 6, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Can't wait , i hope its SEO friendly as the current versions cause massive duplicate content issues with the title tags.

17. Kyle
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 1:18 am | Permalink

That sounds great, but I'm concerned about my plugins not working with it, I don't want to upgrade and have my site crash, I guess I'll have to check with the plugin developers if it will be a smooth upgrade for me or if I will lose all my plugins that I bought. But other than that I look forward to the SE4, I'm curious to see a demo or some screen shots. Cheers

18. amir
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 10:06 am | Permalink

first of all this is the best news ever . i would like to ask the developing team to open a small blog and address development news of social engine v4 so only clients with license could have acees to it.

19. Nabeel
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

What extent of changes we are looking at? As you already mentioned, 3rd party plugins will not be working with this new release then thats seems like a huge upgrade.

Any documents available to check what sort of changes we are looking at?

20. Nabeel
    Posted September 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

It would be really good to see the features list as this will help us to stale our developement of features which will be available in V4.

It will be highly appreciated if a list of new/additional features will be available to registered users so that they can plan the site upgrade and developement accordingly.

Also a document of how the upgrade will work? How much changes we are looking at will be great. As we all are using SE in production now so to plan the upgrade before time information will be helpful to do the upgrade smoothly.

21. css
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 1:53 am | Permalink

it'll be nice if it's purely CSS..

also no mention of "SocialEngine" in source view like how it is with v3

22. Jason
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 2:38 am | Permalink

i have always wanted to get social engine, but the admin issue has stoped me. if there was a multi level admin, that would be the selling point. I need help to maintain my site, but dont want everyone with admin access to have absolute control over my site.

23. Nangko
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 9:07 am | Permalink

Great news!! I love ZF. But it's a bummer knowing this, while starting two SE3 projects with a deadline for end November… :(

Maybe a sneekpreview/Beta of the structure for SE4 makes it possible to build templates and mods which are easy to modify to SE4..

24. Eric
    Posted September 8, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

This is all very exciting! I am interested to see enhanced support for templating, similar to that of wordpress.

25. tontonrimka
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Great News !!!!

26. Clasificados online
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. This is a great software. I love the clasificados online module for anuncios clasificados.

Quick question, how about the translation into other languages? I am interested to keep the spanish language.

27. Carlos
    Posted September 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Sexy is good! Man, no 3rd party plug-ins will be compatible, wow, spent a lot of money on some plug-ins to not be compatible and dealt with non responsive 3rd parties. I hope those non responsive coders will be responsive and make them compatible or at least SE4 would include all those types of functinalities… Great Jobs Guys/Gals!

28. Khaled
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Will this use php5 and mysql5 and will the support for memcache be better than it is in the current version?

29. Toshant Singal
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 11:41 am | Permalink

This is great, I need it immediately. Please let me know when it available.

30. synee
    Posted September 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I am glad i waited for this has I knew you where going to have new version. I hope this will not cost much to purchase.

31. aleem316
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 12:00 am | Permalink

i hope its very modular and canwork with facebook applications so we would pay less to developers to re write for the platform

32. Wilson
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

ZendFramework as a base will be awesome! Godspeed!!

33. garry
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Congratulations, Multi language is a plus for V4.
    I am happy helping to translate if you allow.
    thanks.

34. YC
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I want to cry as I have just done all the customisations for SE3. BUT, that's okay. I am still excited and will still be moving over to the new platform. I really hope the new script includes newsletter and affiliate features. Now that would be really sexy! Can you tell us when you will be giving a list of the new features? Thanks!!

35. pino
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I hope se4 have dashboard and profile personalizable like ellg…

36. Sidog
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Awesome! But why Zend? I think codeigniter is the cats meow …plus you can still use all the zend libraries. Just drop them in the library folder. Just my two cents :)

Glad you guys are going framework at any rate!

37. Steve Davies
    Posted September 14, 2009 at 11:16 am | Permalink

A major benefit of the Zend framework for me is the technology partnerships with IBM, Microsoft, Google and Adobe Systems. I spent over $200,000 building a social community using Adobe's ColdFusion and I'm sure I wouldn't have needed to if SE v4 had been available at the time. My other social network will be moving to SE v4 as soon as it is available, even though I have modified v3.17 extensively I look forward to making it fly using v4.

I more than happy to pay for a new version that has 'enterprise' class robustness and scalability.

38. amir
    Posted September 15, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink

i canot agree more steve

39. Sean
    Posted October 18, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

When is this v4 going to be released?

40. Immobilier
    Posted October 20, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

This is a really great news, I can't wait anymore!