SocialEngine 4 Announcement

We have an exciting announcement to make:

SocialEngine 4 will be offered free of charge to all SocialEngine 3 clients.

We’ve been thrilled with the response from the announcement of SocialEngine 4. However we know many of you were debating whether to purchase the current version or wait for SocialEngine 4 so we’ve made the decision easy for you: purchase SocialEngine now and receive both platforms for the same price.

We have some other exciting announcements in the works which will only be available through the Webligo twitter feed so make sure you’re following! (Webligo Twitter)

We’ve been receiving many questions regarding the release so we wanted to answer a couple of the common ones:

• When will SocialEngine 4 be released?
  • We’re hard at work developing SE4 and will have it completed as soon as possible. We expect to have a beta demo launched within 4-6 weeks. We have not yet set a final release date since quality is our number one priority and we will not release SE4 until it meets the high standards we’ve set for it.

• What will the upgrade cost?
  • The upgrade will be free for clients with current 3.x licenses!

• Will you provide an upgrade script?
  • Yes, we will provide an upgrade/migration script free of charge that will migrate all users and content from your current SE3 installation to a new SE4 installation. The migration script will not be released immediately however, it will be provided several weeks after the initial release.

• Will you continue to support SocialEngine 3 after the release of SocialEngine 4?
  • Yes. We will continue to support and maintain SocialEngine 3 for a substantial time after the release of SE4 and will announce the end of support months in advance.

• Do I have to upgrade?
  • No. SocialEngine 3 is a solid product and while we think you’ll love the speed and functionality boosts of version 4, version 3 will be no less viable. We actually have numerous clients running SocialEngine 2 still without any problems.

• Are my customizations to SocialEngine 3 compatible with SocialEngine 4?
  • No. SocialEngine 4 is a complete rewrite of the platform utilizing the Zend framework and therefore SE3.x customizations are not compatible.

• Should I purchase SocialEngine now or wait for the new version?
  • We know this a tough decision which is why we’ve taken the risk out of it. Purchase SocialEngine today and you will receive the new platform for free when released. Essentially you’ll be receiving both platforms for the same price, giving you the flexibility of examining both codebases and getting the best of both worlds.

• Will you charge for the plugin upgrades? For the upgrade script?
  • No, 3.X clients will receive the platform and all purchased plugins upgraded for free. There will be no charge for the upgrade script.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or comments using the contact form and be sure to follow us on Twitter!

The SocialEngine Team

1. Ratana SOTH
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:09 am | Permalink

hi,

it so good !
    i will follow up this one

2. john
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Thank you Noam and all the webligo team. I think what you are doing here, providing a free upgrade to version3, is mighty nice of you guys, and proves your commitment to this software and to your clients. Thank you.

3. David Thompson
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 4:13 am | Permalink

Great announcement Team … we can't wait to begin working with you all. This kind of initiative shows both how much you care about your existing user base and how solidly you stand behind your new developments.

4. Sean
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 5:25 am | Permalink

New to SE. Just a clarification question:
    I wanted to wait for v4, but as mentioned above there is no risk of getting v3 now since v4 would be free.
    What about the plug-ins? Would I have to buy them now?

5. David Sanchez
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 6:25 am | Permalink

Great job! Please upload images

6. Jame Manriquez
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:51 am | Permalink

SE 3.X is exactly what I had been looking for and now to have a boost in the speed and functionality is great news. You guys already have a great product and continue to make it bettter and better. Thanks.

7. Isak
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for that!
    You guys really are the best!

8. Fajar P Muhammad
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

GREAT !!!! Don't forget the Loud Balancing Feature….

9. Jay
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I echo what john said.

I LOVE to be pleasantly surprised so good job :o)

P.S. Keep it up (Y)

10. Mike Forde
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

This is great news!! Can't wait for the release!! Thanks for the great news!!

11. Shelton Brown
    Posted October 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Can't wait to get my teeth into v4. I'm going to opt out of purchasing v3 and upgrading for free though, as I'd intended to rip out all of the tables and make it div/css constructed and I understand this is part of v4. So on that basis, i'm hanging on.

I'll be first in the queue for v4 though! :)

12. Nicholas
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 6:37 am | Permalink

This is awesome. Free upgrade is what i was hoping. Can't wait to test a demo.

13. JC
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 8:58 am | Permalink

hello,

You made my love stronger for SE with the free upgrade thing. Thank you very much for this.

14. Ryan
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

FREE UPGRADE! AWESOME! I can't wait to see the demo for this, oh, I am so excited!

15. Kevin Payne
    Posted October 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I run a private social network dealing within the luxury market. I have so much to prove and im happy that i did not go the easy rout with Ning. I really hate that Ning crap! I know you guys will not let us down and produce a great site. Im waiting!!

16. Martha Stewart
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Will the SE v4 core come bundled with plugins?
    Which sort of plugins will be released with or without SE v4 core?
    Will SE v4 be faster compared to SE 3.xx?
    Do I need zend on my server to run SE v4?

17. Bharath Reddy
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Free Upgrade Unbelievable! I cant wait anymore when it will be released i'll be very happy if it is released in November

18. Nagendra
    Posted October 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your Free Upgrade you are the guys creating new rules in this internet world its great decision i think no one take decision like you. I Hope all work go good. Take your own time and release a good product to us.

Nagendra

19. Wale
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 12:08 am | Permalink

wow! I can't wait

20. Spiritual Network
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 12:30 am | Permalink

Thank you for great news!
    Whether you people at Webligo know it or not, you're following this:

21. Capoccia
    Posted October 25, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

I want say if the SE4 is SEO optmizated.

22. Sean
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 5:05 am | Permalink

I can't wait to the v4.

Just a quick idea: In the comment section to add "Reply" and "Spam" to each of the comments and possibly Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down.

Cheers, Sean.

23. Carlos
    Posted October 26, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

This is great! Thank you very much. I am looking forward to seeing a demo or list of features that will be available.

24. SocialEngine Templates
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 2:02 am | Permalink

This is exciting new! I can't wait for SE4 to come out so I can start designing some new templates for it! Great work, guys. This free upgrade is really awesome. I know I was slightly disappointed when I had to pay to upgrade to SE3 way back in the day!

25. Michael
    Posted October 28, 2009 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Free upgrade to version 4? Yeah!!!!! I'm a happy boy. Thanks SocialEngine.

26. Chris
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 2:45 am | Permalink

I own Zend IDE and am really looking forward to you guys releasing the new engine. I only hope it's before Christmas :) Only because I'm always anxious!

27. Jonathan Cousar
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Noam, I can't wait to see this! I know you guys are going to do a great job!

I'm just curious about one thing you said here (not that I'm expecting a response!), but why are you going to wait several weeks after release to provide the upgrade scripts? Just curious.

28. Faces of Warcraft
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Will there be an invite app added by default that will allow user invitations from facebook, gmail, yahoo, etc? I think it is really important to allow access to these sites to pull peoples email lists in order to invite other users..

29. Andre Pavini
    Posted October 30, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Please, in this version, use ffmpeg-php extession to convert e create gif images :)

30. Facesofwow
    Posted October 31, 2009 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

How about some screen shots? Would love to see your new masterpiece!

31. Investors Club
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

It sounds great!!! I'm waiting the new version asap. Thank you to Social Engine team.

32. Manda
    Posted November 14, 2009 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I am in the process of migrating my site to SE and there are a couple of customizations I wanted done. I was very happy with the screenshot because it showed some features that I wanted to have and needed to pay for by customization. I have decided to wait for SE4 in order to save me some bucks.

So it would be great to see some more screenshots of how the rest of SE4 will look like.

33. Darnell
    Posted November 14, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Hopefully you guys can add couples profiles. Where as the male and female's stats will show. Such as the height, weight, age, ect.

34. Zyava
    Posted November 19, 2009 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I hope in V4 you will use php5 instead of php4 at last. And I hope you will write phpdoc for all your code. And maybe you will get rid of functions files and we will see strong OOP? Btw, what about tableless default template?

35. Sean
    Posted November 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Ok, today is the mark for the 4th week. Really want to seee SE4.

36. Mark Taylor
    Posted November 22, 2009 at 4:21 am | Permalink

For SE 4 give an additional SMTP server settings so that they can modifying the default SMTP server this mainly on shared hosting the invite and signup have issues mail not get delivered or going to SPAM folder hope SE4 will be release within this christmas

37. Michael
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 1:04 am | Permalink

I would love to see SE v4. with lots of Ajax features. (like ajax photo albums and whatever else that ajax can help with without loading the whole page) I love ajax features! jomsocial has tons of ajax features.

The ability to accept or reject multiple friend or other requests at a time. Accepting friend requests one at time with v3, I'm having member complaints saying it takes to long to accept friend requests and group invites one at a time.

The ability to see if private messages have been read or not been read by members. Is also a great feature.

The ability to have the Admin Feature Members, Feature Groups, Blogs, etc.

Ratings for Members, Photos, Videos, etc with more advanced search features.

I hoping SE v4 has all the bells and whistles like other social network software have out of the box like phpfox2

Can't wait to test out SE v4! I hope it's better and faster than the competitors.

Thanks SE Team!

38. Michael
    Posted November 23, 2009 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Please have an option in the user levels to restrict the number of emails which a Member may send to each other Members in any 24-hour period. That way We can set it, ex: unlimited for VIP's and 50 or whatever for Standard Members for SE v4. Thank you SE Team!

39. roman
    Posted November 25, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

can't wait to see the demo. I sort of put all my development on hold till then. It would be nice to have a mail module that allows to send newsletters to all members or or generate mailing lists based on a profile field, sub-network, etc. People would;d have an option of opting in out.

40. Alex
    Posted November 30, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

the demo, the demo, the demo …. Argggg can't wait…

41. shah
    Posted December 1, 2009 at 9:32 am | Permalink

i am holding one of my major projects on hold for SE 4 to come out. when is the release?

42. Lisa Carter
    Posted December 28, 2009 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I really hope that you guys do an auto refresh on the newsfeeds. I have the advanced newsfeed plugin ..so mine does it..but it is such a BIG thing that you guys should have it as part of the main software.
    Personally…I would love the auto refresh on the members online, new photos, new events, etc. basically if it is SUPPOSED to be a place for what is new…then make it new. Add auto refresh to those areas if the page…You could put in the admin an area for us to select which ones we want to auto refresh…or in each plug-in
    PLEASE

43. Ratana SOTH
    Posted February 19, 2010 at 3:32 am | Permalink

I hope when it release, company also reminder me

44. Jo
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Lisa I agree with you! It would truthfully make the community proactive and lively.

45. Logic
    Posted March 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Release it now!

46. Jason
    Posted April 27, 2010 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Will facebook connect be included within Se4?

47. Chris
    Posted May 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Does this mean that if I buy SE3 and a module or plugin from a third party like http://modules2buy.com/ or http://www.socialenginemods.net/ that they wont work on SE4??

If I buy them now and they dont work, I wont have any modules if I switch from SE3 to SE4.

48. Jimmy Lam
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

what version of the Zend framework is 4.0 base on?
    4 or 5?

49. Epixtome
    Posted May 14, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

This scares me.. "Are my customizations to SocialEngine 3 compatible with SocialEngine 4?
    No. SocialEngine 4 is a complete rewrite of the platform utilizing the Zend framework and therefore SE3.x customizations are not compatible."

If its what I'm thinking, then if I were to buy 4.x I would virtually have no mods available from third parties because they're not compatible right?

I just want to make sure that I know whether or not I should buy 3.x NOW so I can still get some mods for the site and such…