SocialEngine 4.0.5 Released

The most recent version of SocialEngine is now available for download from the client area. It includes lots of enhancements and bug fixes, including major improvements to the package manager stability, fixes to the FTP file transfer system within the package manager, improved indexing of searchable content and much more.

Please continue to report any bugs you find using the contact form. We read each and every bug report and we’ve come a long way since the initial release in big part thanks to your help. Going forward, we’ll be working tirelessly on squashing any outstanding bugs and adding new features like the upcoming membership billing.

1. Posted October 12, 2010 at 5:10 am | Permalink

I was very happy with this version, it was very good. Finally I get my social network.
    A request. Plugins: photo albums and videos, could appear in the Layout Editor, so we could manipulate that area with more facilities.
    Congratulations on the work of you.

2. pierre
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

-Language Editor:
    Separate backend words from frontend words, so it will more easy translate only the fronte end area into another language.

3. Dave Force
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

can you make a background option for network's selected by the users to be desided by admin. That way when people join specific networks, the're background changes, or when view people on different networks profiles, their backgrounds are the background set forth by the option….. excellent software!!! the best social platform I've seen on the market!!!!!

4. Jonathan
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Hey, could you give a few more details on some of the enhancements & bug fixes were made here? Thanks!

5. Noam
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

@Jonathan If you look inside the tar file (using 7-zip for windows or the linux 'tar' command) you'll find the changelog file with all changes made since the last release.

6. Jim
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Thanks very much for the bug fixes in the last version! Having a "What's New?" event stream populated with candy like the newest videos and pictures contributed by the members has helped a huge amount! Also, the .ftp fix you guys hammered out for the Video plug in was very important. Vimeo and YouTube are nice, but it sure is nice to be able to run a site without having to put their collar on.

I was wondering if at some point, you guys might be able to improve the "Chat" room plug in? The fix I'm thinking of might even be fairly simple, but I think it would help make the chat room more popular and more frequently used on my network, and all others too.

Is there any way to have a widget of some type visible on the "Members Home Page" and "Home Page" to show how many people are in the chat room? Similar to the one which currently shows which network members are sighned in?

It seems like the chat does not get used much because no one is inclined to go into the chat room UNLESS they know people, or at least someone, is already in there. As things stand right now, it is rather difficult to initiate any sort of activity in the chat. I think the activity would go WAY up if people could see the status of the chat on the front page.

Thanks,

Jim

7. Nicholas
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Thank you Weblios. I'm very happy that the duplicates are fixed via newsfeed. Can you guys also make the updates link when you comment and like a certain thing? The duplicates are very annoying.

8. Posted October 13, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Would love to see a calendar view for the events plug in. This was standard in v3… any plans to add it to v4 soon?

9. Posted October 14, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Awesome update and getting ever closer to 100% bug free.

I do recommend fluid width on the widget modules so we are not stuck with single column layouts if moved outside of the right/left page columns.

Also, every page should be easily manipulated rather than just a few of them. We need complete control of every aspect of the site..

10. Ricky
    Posted October 16, 2010 at 4:37 am | Permalink

keep up the good work

11. Posted October 16, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Awesome update !!! Update my 167 K users of SE3 is as easy as counting 1,2,3,,, but then something happen,,, after hours of migrating process… i can't login to my admin account, and there's no documentation in support about that …. i think you guyz should write it in documentation on how to obtain your admin account after migrating process …. but overall i think SE4 is a BLAST …. GREAAATTTT !!!! Thanks Guyz

12. Posted October 18, 2010 at 3:17 am | Permalink

i agree with having the ability to edit all pages instead of just certain one.

13. Jens
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Lovely update. However, I am still surprised that new forum topics and replies can not be listed in the public activity feed. So necessary to enhance user interaction! Come on, you know the script needs this, and I guess it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Anyways, congrats on another great new update all in all

14. Noam
    Posted October 18, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I can understand where you're coming from. We actually left out forum activity from the main activity feed intentionally because it crowds up the main feed, but we'll probably offer it as an optional feature in an upcoming release.

15. Posted October 23, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with Miguel C. We need to be able to edit every single page. Most options, more freedom… it's easy…

16. Beckie
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Using this update now… great to see the hardware and progress… but still I can't release it to replace my existing site due the lack of sub location and/or sub categories/chained fields… so near.

I got one response from custom developers and they say they can do it – but it WILL affect core code – I'm so desperate for this to part of the main socialengine code :) I can't afford to get it redeveloped with each update.

The subcription will be a fantastic addition too – and I'm so looking for to getting SE4 out there for my users – I know they will just love it!

17. Jean-Marie
    Posted October 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Hi !!!
    I have the following problems and suggestions with 4.05 :

1/ In the member profile page, there's only 10 items in each tab (10 albums, 10 articles, 10 videos…). But if the member have more than 10 albums for example, it's impossible to see it on his profile.
    Is it a bug or is there a solution to choose the number of items displayed ?

2/ No more alarm sound in the footer chat bar when somebody sent you a message ?

3/ Can I choose the number of friends displayed in the mutual friends widget ? Is it possible to randomize the friends displayed ?

4/ After importing data from SE3, dates (for example signup dates) are not exact…

5/ With Firefox, the → character in the activity feed is not visible. ???

Thanks for your great work !!!

18. cristinna
    Posted November 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

i am so after membership billing… thanks.

19. Posted November 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

nice update everything working good

20. C Grogan
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Hello and congrats on Social Engine 4.0.5
    I have 2 websites
    A. a website and its on Joomla….and I have lots of games in my website
    B . a website and its on SE
    My question is the following:
    Is there a way to transfer the games which are currently in my first website ( Joomla ) onto website with SE
    appreciate your reply and recommendation and comments ASAP
    regards
    C Grogan

21. Andre
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Any date to membership billing? I realy need this :)

22. Posted December 2, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink

I agree with ISportCentral . . .would really like to see an actual "calendar view" for the events plug in! Also, would be nice to have sub categories for the events, so you could have networks or areas for each category and then the type of events in a certain network or area (sub categories).

23. Elise
    Posted December 7, 2010 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Keep up the great work guys!

It would be great to add the ability to change the compression and photo resize amounts in the admin area for the albums plug-in.

Just a suggestion.

24. Ben
    Posted December 11, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Is search for SE4 going to match the capabilities that SE3 has (any time soon?)