SE 4.1.1 Scheduled for Release

Last week’s SE 4.1.0 BETA release went extremely well. Thanks to all of you who participated – what a smooth release! We’ve scheduled the following update, SE 4.1.1, for release next Wednesday. This release includes fixes for the minor issues found in the 4.1.0 beta, so we recommend that anyone using the beta (and anyone else who wants to keep their SE current) upgrade to 4.1.1 when we make it available next week.

For third-party addon developers: Some of you requested that we publish developer notes prior to new releases in the future. We’ll start doing that with this upcoming 4.1.1 release. Our hope is that you can use this information to evaluate whether or not our changes will cause any interference with your own products. As always, your feedback is most welcome.

Developer Notes:

• The 4.1.0 release included some general modifications to the login
    system. If your modules changed or hooked into the login system,
    please review the changes to ensure your changes continue to function
    properly.
  • The 4.1.0 release refactored the Task Scheduler and its associated
    database tables. If your module used the Task Scheduler, please
    review the changes and insert-ignore your tasks into the appropriate
    tables.
  • Storage system has been modified slightly to start preliminary CDN
    functionality (Amazon S3 specifically right now, but more to come
    eventually; none are officially supported yet). We don’t anticipate
    major breaking, but please confirm your module storage methodologies
    are up to date. Potential compatibility breakage points are:
    1) You must use the Storage_Model_File::map() method to get a URL to the file, any other way of getting the URL is not guaranteed to be correct.
    2) The storage_type column has been removed and replaced with the service_id column. Raw access to the table should take this into account.
    3) Because the files in the storage system are not guaranteed to be local anymore, any operations on them should take that into account. Calling Storage_Model_File::temporary() will copy the file to public/temporary and return the temporary file’s path.
  • Orphaned files are periodically cleaned up. This uses the
    $file->getParent() method, so that if the Core_Model_Item no longer
    exists, it assumes it is safe to delete the associated file. This feature should not to be relied upon in your custom plugins and widgets, but is an extra measure to prevent extraneous files from taking up storage space.

Improvements:

• The 4.1.0 release added Membership Billing features.
  • The 4.1.0 release added several more Task Scheduler trigger methods
    to help run background tasks when cronjobs are not available.
  • Various .htaccess files have been added or modified to provide
    browser-side caching for static content, such as javascript, css, and
    image files. Note that the .htaccess files are in non-root
    directories (i.e. /externals/, /public/,
    /application/modules/Core/externals/, etc.) and contain no mod_rewrite
    rules, so this should not break custom configurations. These changes
    require Apache and the Apache module “mod_expires” to be installed on
    your server to enjoy the benefits.
  • Statistics are now only logging full page loads (admin pages and
    ajax requests are no longer being tracked). Please note that the
    extreme drop-off of visits is likely due to this modification.
  • Layout editor now italicizes the “Save Change” link when changes have been made and not yet saved.
  • Admins can now create new menus.
  • Improved Administration of Profile Questions. Making a question
    appear in multiple Profile Types is now simplified.
  • Log rotation has been added to keep automatically-generated log
    files under size control.

1. Posted January 22, 2011 at 3:36 am | Permalink

I have 4.1.0 and the layout changes in Admin do not apply to the site. Is this a known bug? or an unreleated issue on my end?

2. Charlotte
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:52 am | Permalink

@Larry – That is not a known bug. The first thing I would ask you to check is that you are clicking "Save Changes" after making changes to your layout. This is an easy thing to miss, but can be the difference between your changes registering on the front end or not. If that's not the issue, I recommend that you submit a support ticket so that our staff can debug the issue and help you figure out what is causing the problem.

3. Andy
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:11 am | Permalink

I noticed iPad now works in v4.1 could you let us know what you changed so we can update our 4.0.5s until we feel comfortable upgrading. Thanks.

4. dany
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 6:42 am | Permalink

As all knows, SE 4.1 used to take a huge server resources…is that has been solved on new update?

5. Posted January 22, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

One of the biggest concerns/Features that I did not see any mention of being improved is SE4 search capabilities. Searching on the site now is not very good. For example, it a person is searching for someone named Mario and types Mar, it brings up no result at all. I think it should be pulling all results with Mar in it.

Plus members searching for their friends, it would be nice if thumbnails would automatically show up (suggestions) while members are searching, just in case they don't remember how the persons name is spell, they will still be able to find them.

Overall, it just think that the search needs to be improved.

AS well as picture transition. Need to be able to go form picture to picture without page reloading. I thought that was there originally but I have no idea why it was removed.

I thinks there are 2 very simple but major difference makes Webligo. will they be addresses in the next update?

6. Posted January 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the communication on the update! I love the "Orphaned files are periodically cleaned up. " , but I hope this will be a priority feature for enhancements to SE4 as a cleanup utility across the site, not just files..

7. Ted
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Will 4.1 add "next page" to profile items such as forum topics, posts, and friends?

8. Posted January 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Hello, Alex

Few months ago asking you if you were to implement the alert sound of chat box, and tell me that if I'm leiendo this release, and I see you mention anything in respect of the chat, the question is will the chat box with signal notice.

Greetings

jorge

9. James
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Hi.

Does the new version 4.1.1 fix the issue that I get occasionally when the site says:
    We're sorry!
    We are currently experiencing some technical issues. Please try again later.

I've looked on several forums, and many people seem to experience this problem with their site.

James

10. Philani
    Posted January 22, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

hello'
    i have a couple of questions' if i upgrade will it fix' following? maintenance mode? its not loading or producing the access code; when evr i switch to dev mode it goes off, i cant do anything at all.

11. Charlotte
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

@James Conrow – Yes, the next page is added to the widgets now.

@Jorge – Yes, the chat now makes a ding!

@James Kopp, Philani – Since I don't know off-hand what is causing your problems, I can't tell you whether v4.1.1 will solve your issues. Our support staff would be more than happy to help you debug the issue – just submit a support ticket and we can help you out!

12. Peer
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

I absolutely agree with As Mario M.! I also need advanced search capabilities and easy to customize search administration (context specific custom fields etc.). This is an essential feature in professional environments like company intranet/extranet as well as knowledge networks. Secondly, I wonder why the Member page isn't structured like the Video, Music, Groups pages, with a "Members Main Navigation Menu". Then, this "Members Main Navigation Menu" should contain navigation items like "Browse Members", "My Friends", "Requested Members", "Members to Confirm". Additionally, it makes no sense to show a list of members in large networks. Instead it would be better to integrate an advanced search in the "Browse Members" page, BR, Peer

13. Antony Welch
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Hi there, thanks for the good release :) I would like to ask you if the Newsfeed (Wall) will be improved, I mean to be like SE3.x. Now, if a user post a topic in the forum, there is no activity feed, if a user votes in a poll there is no activity, if a user join a group there is no activity (there is activity only in the profile wall, and so on and so on. It would be great if you give a choice in the Admin panel so we can choose if such activities can be posted in the Newsfeed or not. Please let us know if you are planning something about this.

14. Gregory
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the pre-release update. Your stepped up communication is much appreciated!

Future CDN functionality and orphaned file cleanup are smart additions. These give us a good glimpse of the long term usability and maintainability of the SE framework.

A thought about 3rd party plug-ins… I appreciate that any developer can submit their offerings to be listed on your 3rd party add-on list. This produces a broad range of functionality and possible niche features. However, not all developers develop code with the same level of competence and eye for QA/QC. As a plug-in consumer, I can't see this until I buy the developers code.

I don't want Webligo to be put in the position where they promote one developer over another, but I would really like to see an improvement to the 5 stars rating process. It would be much more useful to me if there was a technical rating by us consumers. 4 to 5 categories which create an average 5 star value. Such as Documentation (install & config), out of the box customization(css utilized), features match description, support… Then allow us to sort by technical rating, popularity, ….just a thought for the future.

15. Frank
    Posted January 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

How about an auto suggest for the entire network on the main search?

16. Posted January 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the extra info and Developer notes, very useful :)
    Looking forward to 4.1.1

17. Posted January 23, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Hi, does this update include the SE Plugin updates?
    In other words, are the chat, Albums, Events and other plugins that were in Beta now ready too? or do they come seperate to this in the following days? Thanks, Great Work Guys!

18. Charlotte
    Posted January 24, 2011 at 12:32 am | Permalink

@Hugh – When we make v4.1.1 available this week, the plugins will also be out of beta at the same time.

19. Posted January 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you very much Alex and Webligo team for listening to 3rd party developers.

20. ezgi
    Posted January 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

hi,
    if I upload the v4.4.1 will i still keep my content?

21. Antony Welch
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Please let us know about the notifications (Activity Feed). Are you going to make an option in the Admin Panel so we can have the same Activity Feed as in SE3.x. (everything is posted). Now many things are not shown in the Main Activity Feed, for example forum topics and answers, voting in a poll, creating a discussion topic in a group, joining a group and so on. We are waiting for your response. Thank you in advance!

22. Charlotte
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

@Antony – v4.1 BETA (and all versions after) come with better activity feed item management. If you go to your Activity Feed Settings, there should be a link in the description to go to the Activity Feed Item Type Settings page. To see a description of how that page works, please refer to our documentation: http://www.socialengine.net/support/documentation/article?q=160&question=Admin-Panel—Settings–Activity-Feed-Settings

23. David
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I want to know when you make for main menu (More option) because i got many plugins.

Thanks advance.

24. Alex
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

@David – you can edit the HTML source code that belongs to the main menu to add additional options if necessary. Or, you could replace the entire main menu with a static HTML block that contains exactly the HTML you want.

25. Azwan
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

When 4.1.1 is going to come out ?

26. Posted January 26, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hello Alex
    I have a question, the instruction manual to update 4.0.5 to 4.1.1 is very detailed, because the 4.1.0 Beta, it is difficult to understand.

The update is done from Control Panel, "Package Manager"??

Thanks

Jorge

27. Gerald
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Is the latest version released yet? I'm waiting to get my first SE.

28. Kai
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Wednesday :)

29. Clare
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Thursday where i live 😛

30. Jack
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Specific Time today? Its almost 3pm for me here.

31. Charlotte
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Hey all, we are releasing today – it's only noon in PST. We'll release an announcement when it's up, likely in the next couple hours.

32. Wietse
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

I forgot what PST is in CET and I am to lazy to look it up so I am going to post this bladiblablabla post.

Sorry!

For those interested it is 00:24 CET at the time of writing

33. Posted February 15, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Hi,

I would like to know if i can add another payment gate way?

I need this urgently.

Thanks.

34. Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink

It would be nice to see better use of caching, right now when I tested socialengine with load with memcache configured, it still hits up the database pretty hard. It would also be nice to support simple CDN (mirroring for example if you setup a subdomain). As well as basic ability to minify css/js files either in cache or on the fly. As it is I can't get it to do higher than 8 transactions per second compared to my wordpress install capable of several hundred per second using memcache. (and yes SE is in production mode)