Developer Spotlight: Booya! Media

This is the pilot post for our “Developer Spotlight” series. In this series, we’ll occasionally highlight third-party developers and designers that have created remarkable products for the SocialEngine platform. We’ll also routinely give some love to SE developers that are getting press or earning other notable achievements. For those of you with questions about these products, consider this an opportunity to have an open dialog with the developers who made them – post a comment!

Today we’d like to highlight Booya! Media. They’ve created a white-label mobile app (not just a mobile browser theme, but a full-fledged app) that plugs right into SE4. As an SE admin, this lets your users find your community in the iPhone App Store, download an app solely dedicated to your community, and interact within your community from their mobile device. Another notable thing about the app is the inclusion of some features that aren’t currently built-in to SE, such as an expanded invite process during signup, Google Maps mashups, and posts with location tagging.

Booya! Media SocialEngine Mobile App

While expensive, Booya! Media’s app seems to be a good value since custom mobile apps typically need to be developed from scratch. Booya! Media’s product is essentially pre-built so you won’t have to invest resources in starting from scratch. If your community needs a mobile app, you’re satisfied with the built-in functionality of Booya! Media’s app, and you have the appropriate budget, this is probably worth checking out.

Booya! Media has made another impressive stride recently. Their apps have climbed their way up to Apple iTunes Store’s Top 50 list in the “Social Networking” category.

Have any questions or comments? Post a comment for some direct feedback from Booya! Media.

1. Serious Buyer
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Why is your product extremely expensive???
    i understand it has good features but to be honest most these features are already available on the phone or available for free in app store.
    Seriously consider making this product valur for money with a reasonable price.

Hire Experts mobile phone plugin is not as content rich as yours
    but for the price difference 10x less the your asking price it does preety darn good job.

Not putting your product down as i really think its a great app
    but seriously $3000 for a SE plugin app.

2. Jack
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I must agree with Shahan S. Some of the prices charged for SE plug-ins are ridiculous.

3. Carlos
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I purchased the hire-experts.com mobile device, I couldn't afford the Booya's price point.

4. Posted February 11, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

This app may seem a little too expensive or reviewed negatively, but I can assure you it's worth it. Be sure to contact Jason at Booya if you have any questions.

"Actually, our price is quite reasonable considering what it would cost to
    build a social app tied to SE from scratch. The people who left reviews are
    not clients. All our clients who actually paid, are 100% satisfied."

5. Jason
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Our app is not a plugin, or a web based version of SE. It's a binary app that runs native on mobile device, installed only from app store.

Thank you for the comments. I would encourage anyone to ask any mobile development company for a quote based on our app. It is very expensive to build all the custom web services as well as the coding to create our rich feature set an application to be downloaded from the app stores.

We understand that not everyone has a budget to release or build an app worthy of being tied into SE, so we have made allot of effort where NO ONE else even comes close.

PS – We also work with clients that need a payment structure.

Jason Martell

6. Jarrod
    Posted February 12, 2011 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Shahan S. — If you want to see the app in action, do a search for its-justme in the itunes app store.

7. Posted February 12, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

cool way to generate revenue : ) while offering users news

8. Posted February 12, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Creating your own apps is easier now watch Video 1 – http://tinyurl.com/4n9leju and Video 2 – http://tinyurl.com/4tky7k7 to learn more I think that soon I will come up with my own binary app and will be affordable.

9. Posted February 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I'm creating an app for the iphone, too.
    I'm using the PhoneGap Framework (which I already used for 4 other apps), to build an app through html, css, javascripts and some api's to get access of native functions (photo gallery, webcam, etc). And the app still feels native!

The current working process can be viewed at http://www.freunde.org/albums/view/31 (the site is still under construction, too, their just some friends registered to test everything out).

The app right now is hardcoded in german, but if enough are interested, I could translate everything in other languages or by using placeholders.

The first release of my app will be probably available at the end of march, then I will decide If I make this iphone app for sale or not.

Frank.

10. Posted February 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

This is the only third party developer for SocialPlugin that charges on-going fees for their plugin's and apps. There are companies that usually make products similar to this company and with a much cheaper price with a one time fee. Such as HDFVR.net

11. Michael
    Posted February 16, 2011 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Nice app but at those prices I wont be buying it

12. Posted February 18, 2011 at 12:41 am | Permalink

We charge only a one-time fee, please do not post in correct information.

13. Wes
    Posted February 18, 2011 at 7:54 am | Permalink

I need to interject on this thread based on my limited experience…..

I spoke with Jason recently AND placed bids with 5 other companies to create a standalone app for my site. Jason was not only professional, but also honest (which is rare in this business!). What I am finding is that Booya is not only competitive, but also has integrity with a good product. I still have not decided who to go with….but Booya is "right on the money" when it comes to value.

To those who think that professional APP creation is cheap – go through the bidding process yourself. Mobile development is not cheap! I got quotes from people in India for $10K!!!

My two cents…..

14. Ward
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

What's the difference? 10 customers at $4,000 or 50 customers at $1,000 … This app is native and keeps members away form community thus losing members online activity which means losing our advertising revenue. So is $4,000 a good investment on return? You decide!

15. Jaii
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Well first I'm going to save up for this App, then I'm going to save up for an iPhone ROFL!!!!

16. Posted July 14, 2011 at 4:12 am | Permalink

A mobile app is a must now a days with social media and people worldwide using there mobile device to be on the go. I am the Co-Founder of YouGoSocial.com and I must tell you with much research Booya by far has the best prices for what most are typically looking for in a simple app the get's the job done. If you use Social Engine, this is probably the way to go even though some seem to think the price is to "high". Do some research as I have and you will find it's almost a steal.

Nonetheless still in talks with Booya and customization options but feel confident if we went this route we would be making a good decision.

FYI- One place quoted me $10,000 per app (think about that for a second and then say prices are to high). Hope everyone is doing well :)

17. Posted July 14, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

First off.. i am not sure the total cost of this… as i have not received a reply from booya yet. But from what people are saying here the cost is $4,000. I wonder.. does that include integration? or just the framework? From what people say it does include submission to Android Market and Itunes Store.

I think that the justification for the price is 2 sided.. i can understand Jason's standpoint, but i think you must understand ours as well. It is not like you developed a single custom app for a client or 2, and then sold it and moved onto the next project. What you did was develop a framework that can be sold over and over 100's of times. I mean.. i give you kudos… its a sick looking interface and looks like it works well. (although i have not tested a app yet using this, i can see form the screenshots).

My question would be… if i am paying the cost, can the app be catered more to SE's functionality? For example, including the album, classified, event, and group functionality of my social network along with the blog you do so well? If this was the case, i think it would be a bit more justified. Im waiting for a reply from booya still.. but expect soon. Hope to get some answers then. Just thought i would put in my 2 cents.

As far as driving traffic away from the site with the use of this app, i think your crazy! Anything that can allow you to use the core functionality of a site while you are not in front of your laptop or computer creates need. A need for a person to use the site. When he is not in hos phone, he will be more inclined to use your site than others because he is fully integrated with yours and not others. You do yourself a disservice with this reasoning. The more you give your customers as far as useful tools, the more they will patronize you and eventually the advertisers that are using you as a platform.

18. Randi Zuckerberg
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 2:57 am | Permalink

Booya! your price scared everyone away !!!!