Mobile Plugin Debut (and v4.1.4 release)!

I’m happy to announce version 4.1.4 is available for download! I’d also like to introduce our newest addition, the mobile plugin! If you’re new to SocialEngine, you can purchase the mobile plugin via the order page, and if you’re already a client, you can pick it up via the client store.

If you’re interested in what we’ve changed, you can check out the summary we posted a few days ago, or as always, you can have a look at the changelog provided with the update. As always, take a backup before you start!

Note: If you’re upgrading your site, and you plan to use the mobile plugin, you will need to add a mobile stylesheet to your theme. We’ve written a knowledgebase article about how to do that – check it out or your mobile plugin won’t work properly!

As always, let us know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!

Edit: The changelogs were causing the extract error, so you can access it here: http://www.socialengine.net/attachments/blog/changelog414.html

1. Halal
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:29 am | Permalink

From an existing customer, if I buy the mobile plugin, will get free support in case of any problem?

2. Jonathan
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Does the mobile plugin display the forums? And does it display Group Discussions? Thanks!

3. hamidoui
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:50 am | Permalink

thank you im waiting 4.1.4 no sleep

4. Robert
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 2:58 am | Permalink

I get this message when trying to upgrade the Forum, Album and Chat plugins to version 4.1.4 for each plugin:

Extract error: Unable to load data

5. Posted April 14, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

yes finaly and first comment yea

6. Richard
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Charlotte…

Sounds very exciting and very complex at the same time…

Are you offering an upgrade install package for us very novice type consumers??

Many Thanks! Richard

7. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

@Richard – You can purchase upgrade service from the client store.

@Robert – Try again – we've fixed the issue.

@Jonathan – Yes, forums and group discussions are included.

@Halal – The mobile plugin does not come with support – you'll need to buy that separately if your support has expired.

8. Gianfranco
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:17 am | Permalink

When I download the update (SE4 Upgrade (4.x —> 4.1.4), the .tar file (22megs) in the client area it shows this error when after upload the package:

Upload failed: Error caused a send or load operation to fail (Error #2038)

Actual Version 4.1.3p

9. philip
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink

just bought the mobile plug in and the CSS doesnt appear on my Samsung galasy s Android phone .. i downloaded the mobile.zip and upload it on the socialengine root theme file but still the Css doesnt work somehow

10. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

@Philip – First, make sure you uploaded the mobile.css file to the theme you are actually using. Second, try putting your site into development mode, and then back into production mode.

11. philip
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:15 am | Permalink

@charlotte thank you i already got it figured out 😉

12. sevada
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I have one question… for the mobile plugin where will it show the members notifications? That is one of the most important parts… members knowing what is going on there profile

13. Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Mobile version needs work, status bar and smooth box is not formatted correctly for mobile.

14. Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Ok, I figured it out… It seems like the tar file is not good. I've just uncompressed and upload one .tar by one. It's working good.

Thanks for this great update!

15. PM
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Can NOT upload pictures via mobile site, it's the most used features on mobile version

16. Posted April 14, 2011 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Do I need to upgrade all my plugins as well?

17. Ruben
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

Great, was hoping for the IE9 update!

When I have made minor changes to the snowbot theme (some colors) and I'd want the mobile theme to look the same, can I just copy paste something or do I need to check everything manually?

18. Hany
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Hi
    I do not see TinyMCE editor in Blog v4.1.4 !!??

Note:

Blog
    We've brought back an often requested feature: users can now upload photos through the TinyMCE editor! Additionally, users can subscribe to a member's blog.

19. Federico
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

There`s a bug:

PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getNextCollectible() on a non-object in public_html/application/modules/Core/Model/Item/Collectible.php on line 54

20. Shivantha
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

My foot hurts, this is not up to snuff compared with hire-experts mobile ver. when will you add – Photo Albums allows to browse, search and view photo albums and photos, including leaving comments?

21. Brett
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

@Charlotte, I am using the Midnight theme which comes standard with SE. I have uploaded the mobile.css file, and have also changed mode and back. Still, I cannot have my mobile browser access the mobile site. (The two new themes do work, however)

22. Brett
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Think I have it figured now. :)

23. Francisco
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

new members can upload a profile pic when they sign up through mobile?

24. Lex
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Do you have a Demo of the Mobile plugin running so I can compare the features to the features in the existing 3rd Party Plugins that are available?

25. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

@Lex – Our demo is running the mobile plugin.

@Francisco, @PM – iPhones don't allow the ability to upload photos via the browser, so that functionality is not available through mobile. Until Apple changes it's policies, there's nothing we can do.

@Shivantha – I'm not sure I understand your question. If you click the "Browse" tab in the mobile layout, you can access the browse page for the photo albums.

@Frederico – Can you please elaborate where that error is occurring? And what you did to produce it?

@Hany – The TinyMCE editor has been in blogs since version 4 came out – we simply added the ability to upload photos through it.

@Ruben – The classes are all the same in the mobile plugin, so you could try copy/pasting as a start, but you might need to make minor tweaks to that copy/pasted code.

@Donald – Yes, you should upgrade your plugins as well.

26. Kingsley
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

4.1.4 seems to be working fine. Upgraded today from 4.1.2. The only problem is that when someone comments on something, the delete and like options on a comment are listed vertically, instead of horizontally as before. This looks kinda funny. Must be some CSS mistake somewhere.

27. Shivantha
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

@Charlotte – apologize, I checked your mobile site and all the plugins show's up but for me albums and videos do not show up using the midnight theme.

28. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

@Kingsley – You may need to apply some CSS from the default theme.css file to your theme's stylesheet.

@Shivantha – It sounds like maybe you haven't updated all your plugins to v4.1.4 – make sure your album and video plugins have been updated.

29. Lex
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

@Charlotte – per the mobile demo – I am not seeing it, I am assuming you do not have support built in for all phones. I am running WebOS which should work as long as your Mobile Browser "catcher" is looking for WebOS Browsers … otherwise can you list the Mobile OS's you have support for currently so I can get a phone that will show me the Mobile Plugin. Thank you!

30. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

@Lex – We've tested with both iPhone and Android phones and both work. What type of phone are you using? Our mobile checker is checking for a wide variety of mobile browsers.

31. Lex
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

@Charlotte – I am using an HP Palm Pre2 … it runs the WebOS software. The Mobile checker needs to check for

32. Lex
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

@Charlotte — for Mobile catching you could do something like this and it should catch just about everything …. if(preg_match('/android|avantgo|blackberry|blazer|compal|elaine|fennec|hiptop|iemobile|ip(hone|od)|iris|kindle|lge |maemo|midp|mmp|opera m(ob|in)i|palm( os)?|phone|p(ixi|re)/|plucker|pocket|psp|symbian|treo|up.(browser|link)|vodafone|wap|windows (ce|phone)|xda|xiino/i',$useragent)

33. Abdel. The Great
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Do you have iPad support?

34. Charlotte
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

@Lex – That is basically what we're using. It should catch the palm OS – I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. If I ever get my hands on a Palm, I'll check it out.

@Abdel – Yup, iPad should work fine.

35. Harold
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:52 am | Permalink

Mobile template is really nice, one small issue, when I am making changes to the mobile.css, I don't see changes until I toggle from Production mode to Development mode, then back again. In dev mode, the stylesheet won't load. ALso, there is no way to delete custom made menus in Menu Editor, had to go into DB.

No uploading pictures in mobile :-( But this is to be expected with a web app. Any chance of this transitioning into an actual mobile app?

36. Harold
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Would be great if we had a way to display different menu items to the public, that would be hidden once logged in.

37. hendra
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:38 am | Permalink

38. Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

There still seems to be a lot of issues with v4.1.4. Can anyone guarantee that it now works fine. and how does one correct the vertical display in comments for like and delete? Any answers please.

39. Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

what about chat ? or 3d party chat .

40. Lex
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Is there a road map for the feature set of the Mobile plugin? It is missing a lot of features … like messaging someone from their profile … also the user profiles on the mobile plugin are very plain, you cannot even browse a users photos from their profile. I also found it hard to navigate …again a lot is missing … currently the third party mobile plugins have more features. I wish you guys would have spent the time enhancing the subscription plugin like I detailed for you in extreme detail multiple times, I would have paid for that plugin ….

41. Paul
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

anyone else getting this error when trying to update
    Upload failed: Server returned HTTP-Status #302

42. Michael
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I seriously can't believe this has been released as a plugin… Mobile display should come as standard IMO. In this day and age lots of people are using mobile devices to browse the web and this is why many software houses and developers include a mobile or lite version as standard in their software…

I for one am not going to pay another $40 jsut to render the website with a different CSS…

43. Charlotte
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

For those of you having trouble with the comment menu being vertical, you need to add this to your theme:

ul.comments_date > li { display: inline-block; }

That will fix it.

@Lex – Messaging someone from their profile does work. Can you explain what problem you're running into?

@Kanakis – Chat is not included in the mobile plugin.

44. Raja
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

the issue occurs only in google chrome browser. works fine on firefox.

45. Lex
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

@Charlotte – I browsed the Demo Mobile page on my wife's Droid (since I cannot see it on my Palm phone) and when I visited a users profile there were no options to send a message to that person. I only saw the option to "Add to my friends" but nothing else. The only tabs on the profile are "What's New, Info, Friends" … If you even look at it in a normal web browser it is the same so it is not the "browser" that is the issue.

46. Kingsley
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Okay, now it works fine. Once you add the code

ul.comments_date > li
    {
    display: inline-block;
    }

to theme.css as Charlotte says, the vertical comments issue is fixed. Everything else seems to be working fine. Good job.

47. yankey
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

hi, pls will the mobile plugin work on blackberry phones?

48. Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Congrats for excellent enhancement.

~ AN Gloss

49. Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Do you have to buy an app per phone or isd it per site? inother words- If I buy the app for my site- can my members download it for free?

50. Charlotte
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:42 am | Permalink

@Chris – This isn't an app – it's just a simplified layout for mobile browsers.

51. Ward
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Now that mobile is out of the way, can we get a road map (time frame) of when the below will be completed so we can get to work? Note: You guys took time to add language packs two "years" ago for international clients, your American clients would *really* appreciate zip codes.

1) We need geo location / zip codes dump, just like Radcodes Gmap plugin so OUR clients can search members, networks, groups, events, classifieds, etc in a location based ((( networking ))) environment …

2) Search Profiles: ((( List View, Gallery View and Map View )))

3) Ajax throughout plugin *tabs* for faster page loads, adding friends, etc .. Searching, Networking and Navigating = Member retention = Revenue. We would appreciate a time frame. Please and thank you.

52. Posted April 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Charlotte, where exactly does one add this:

ul.comments_date > li { display: inline-block; }

I would have preferred if an update to this version is released instead of people having to tweak the codes themselves.

Please save us these hassles, that's why we're with Social Engine in the First place.
    If one know exactly where to add the code then it could be a little easier.

Thanks

53. Charlotte
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

@Ayodele – You will need to add it to your theme.css (which you can do through the Theme Editor in the admin panel). The reason this was not in the upgrade is because many SocialEngine clients have made changes to their theme and putting the theme in the upgrade would have overwritten those changes, causing even bigger problems.

54. Posted April 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Back several months ago you stated you were working on making all pages drag and drop, any idea when that will happen? This way we can drop advertisements and other widgets into the messages page, blogs, forum, chat, etc?

55. Posted April 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Good job SE team! This version i think is very stable.

56. Stars
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

i am 100% agree with Charlotte, overwriting of CSS cause a lot of problems for all who are using custom theme.
    Thanks SE team for continues improvements and upgrade

57. Posted April 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Ok, I think I may finally be able to get up and running with v4, but I did encounter the following errors when using the migration script and I was hoping you could inform me if these are critical or what they mean Charlotte:

1.)Install_Import_Version3_AuthorizationLevels: Warning: Missing permission data for permission: blog (css). This plugin may not be installed in your SocialEngine 4 site yet.
    ***I do have the blog plugin installed btw.

2.)Install_Import_Version3_UserFields: Error: Mysqli statement execute error : Too many keys specified; max 64 keys allowed, SQL was: ALTER TABLE `engine4_user_fields_search` ADD INDEX (`field_123`)
    ***I received about 50 of these all in a row.

3.)Install_Import_Version3_CoreAdcampaigns: Error: Mysqli prepare error: Unknown column 'public' in 'field list'
    ***I received about 30 of these all in a row.

Those are the only errors I received so I am already extremely happy about that. Just please inform me if these are major or if they will have no bad effect on my site. :)

58. Shaggy
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I wonder why there is still an existing issue with the admin statistics not importing correctly. I remember mentioning this several times before.
    Statistics says I have 1,977 members when in actuallity I have 2,775 members (which is stated correctly next to "View Members".
    It also does not show statistics for "Private Messages", and "Comments". "Friendships are also stating an incorrect number. Can someone help me with this….

More issues to report:
    It seemed to migrate the networks but when you go to "Manage" –> "Networks" it says there are "0" members in each network…now we all know that is wrong.

When viewing a profile is says:
    Last Update: December 1, -1

I was hoping you had tested the migration script before this release, but I feel it may never happen.
    In all reality, what are the chances of me being able to finally upgrade to v4 from v3????????

59. Shaggy
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

No profile info migrated for any of the users either….really guys? come on…..

60. Shaggy
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

It seems I could go on forever with all the issues. All I ask is if you will PLEASE TEST, TEST, TEST to make sure something works first. Is that too much to ask??
    Along with all the other issues, no album covers migrated….so it looks amazing when viewing the albums page and see nothing but white boxes….

61. Charlotte
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

@Shaggy – Some of those errors you mentioned are not a big deal, but I'm not sure why you're having so many problems with the migration script. It may work better for you to upgrade to v4.0.5 and then from there to v4.1.4. If you'd like the 4.0.5 downloads, send us an email via the contact form and we'll send them your way.

62. Robinson
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

some of features of my site are not working since i installed SE 4.1.4 the more option is not working! and sometimes to post a comment doesnt work either

63. T
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Finally had time to upgrade and add mobile. Everything went smoothly and looks great! Great job again SE4 team!!!

64. Shaggy
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Charlotte, did you get my email requesting v4.0.5? I sent it immediately after you left the comment yesterday.

65. Posted April 17, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

never mind i got it! thanks and i really like it the mobile plugin :)

66. Kingsley
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

The automatically disabled bug is there still. Click on the profile of someone who isn't your friend and they immediately become "not approved". Then the only way to approve is to directly edit the database. I thought you guys were working on this?

67. Federico
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

How do you remove the Comment Likes? They don`t even work fine.

68. Raja
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

There is a wierd bug in my SE4.1.4 site. Photos on all albums keep skipping when you hit next photo. This happens when you click the photo also.

I upgrade my site from 4.1.2 to 4.1.4 and moved all my modules/files/and db to the new site. After that I updated all the Core (Audio, Album, Video) plugins to 4.1.4.

Any ideas?

69. Michael
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

When you embed a HD video link from youtube it embeds the video picture in the wrong dimensions on the mobile site.

70. Ramiz
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

are all socialengine plugins visible in the mobile version specialy the marketplace and the forum plugin?

71. Ian
    Posted April 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Could you include an "unread posts" feature in the forum so members don't have to search through each topic individually?

All major forum software includes this feature and people have come to expect it when using a forum.

72. Posted April 21, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Bug on google chrome and opera still ocure "all embed youtube video start playing all together in a real cacofonie"….

73. Halal
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Please please and please! Can you fix the bug which forces to manually verify new members in the in the admin? Can you fix the bug so new members can appear in the feed activity? I was hoping they will be fixed in the latest release but so far no change. Please fix them as some of us are losing on new members.

74. Daniel
    Posted April 21, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Just dowloaded 4.1.4 and the 4.1.4 upgrades for my 6 SE add ons plugins. Added the ul.comments_date > li { display: inline-block; } to my theme. Everything downloaded and upgraded perfectly!! Thanks Social Engine and SE Add ons! You all keep making this easier and easier!

75. PM
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

does the mobile site has notifications? I can't see it, so how can my users play comments with their friends????

76. Posted April 22, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

How do I add the on the 4.1.4 release I dont understand

77. Ian
    Posted April 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

BUG IN 4.1.4

Migrated from SE 3 to SE 4.1.4 When I did the initial migratation, I carried everything over, and had Events plugin enabled.

After the migration I decided to disable the Events plugin. This caused the entire activity feed to disappear. Enabling the Events plugin "corrected" this.

78. Ian
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Apologies, it appears the "bug" below (with Events and the Activity Feed) may have been related to my not having done recursive permissions to the folders (777 CHMOD) as mentioned on the install guide.

Seems ok now. However, I am encountering a problem in blogs. Trying to use the new upload pic feature and it lets me select a photo but after clicking to insert it doesn't appear.

I can still insert a photo by URL, but the upload feature isn't working for me, any ideas?

79. Merben
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink

upgraded from 4.1.2 to 4.1.4. all embedded video's start auto playing whenever i visit user profile or on my wall. the issue occurs only in google chrome browser. works fine on firefox. @Eddy S @Raja K

+1 this is happening for us as well. Please release a patch. thanks.

80. Ian
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 4:14 am | Permalink

And once again my "bug" was just a misunderstanding. It appears I have to click "upload" and then "insert" in order to put the photo into my blog.

I had been missing the "upload" button step because the insert button stands out so much. Working ok now

81. Alex
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

The upgrade is not working for me..
    When trying to upgrade, I get a 'Page not found' at the url: http://www.mysite.com/install/manage/prepare

82. Kingsley
    Posted April 23, 2011 at 6:46 am | Permalink

As a quick fix for the 'automatically disabled' bug, you can run a cronjob to regularly restore all the engine4_users table rows 'enabled' field from 0 to 1.

That is until the SE guys can fix the bug that sets it to 0 both for new members and for members whose profiles are clicked by someone who isn't their friend.

83. Denys
    Posted April 25, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Hello,

I'm not sure was this reported yet, but when I open your demo in Opera in MacOS (Opera v11.10) it shows me mobile version by default. I think this issue will be confusing for most of users

84. Posted April 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Hello
    I have a problem with 4.1.4 networks it doesn't work, users cant choose network it says no networks available. i have uploaded the file again but it still doesn't work. Chat is not working on 4.1.4 i have looked everything seems okay but you cant see your friends online. please could you look unto that and if there is a patch for it please do let me know so i can patch it

85. Posted April 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Hello
    I have a problem with 4.1.4 as sending messages doesn't work, users cant choose a member to send a message, write in the title and message but when you press send the message goes blank and no message is sent. My developer has checked and everything seems okay, please could you look into for me and if there is a patch for it please do let me know so i can patch it

Thanks

86. Tony
    Posted April 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

How come I can get this plugin when I go to Client Store its telling me I have to buy this plugin.. can someone explain this to me I'm kind of confused here.

87. Sam
    Posted April 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Hello
    I have a problem with 4.1.4 as sending messages doesn't work, users cant choose a member to send a message, write in the title and message but when you press send the page reloads with message that I must complete SEND TO section again – even though it is there!
    Thanks

88. Gregory
    Posted April 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

You guys should really try to standup a bug tracker in conjunction with your forum. Your blog which is supposed to be for marketing and communicating changes has become a forum for bug notifications, general frustrations and novice programmers oops.

89. Posted April 26, 2011 at 12:03 am | Permalink

No problems at all with my upgrade to 4.1.4. Everything seems to be working great and the mobile theme is beautiful. Colours etc. just the same as they are on the main site!

Thanks Social Engine!

90. Ian
    Posted April 26, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Regular members can't edit their own forum posts despite this being enabled from the admin area.

I as a superadmin have no problem with this. Anyone else encounter this?

91. Leon
    Posted April 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi. I've been trying to get updates on the mobile plugin but i cant get it to work so no members know when someone has commented on there post? Has anyone got some info on how i get updates on the mobile site?

92. Ian
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 12:14 am | Permalink

FORUM REQUESTS FOR FUTURE UPDATE

– Allow regular/default members to edit their own posts and delete them

– Add new/unread topics feature

– Add "mark all as read" feature in the forum

– Fix category images so the "unread" image displays (works for topics, not for categories)

– Add layout capabilities for forum in admin area

– Allow us to put ads into topics (after every x number of posts, at bottom of every thread, etc)

BANNING/SPAM TOOL FIXES

– Allow us to easily one-touch ban members (adds their email, username and IP address)

– Allow us to easily locate duplicate IP's

– Incorporate IP ban lists or permit us to block from specific countries (China especially)

– Temporary suspensions (i.e. allow us to suspend a members account for x number of days and have it auto-email them when the ban is lifted)

– Better signup spam prevention (still getting spammers through even with CAPTCHA and email verification enabled)

– Allow us to set limits on # of comments/private messages/etc a member can post every x minutes/hours (or have system auto-detect when someone is spamming the same comment or message and temp disable them and notify the superadmins via email)

TWITTER & FACEBOOK

– Add twitter integration so members can share their content there

– Allow us or members to set "always on" for facebook/twitter sharing so they don't have to remember to click the little icon to share, as it's easy for people to miss this and forget

– Make any facebook/twitter sharing feature have multiple settings for how visible it is (that way those site admins who don't want it standing out can have the current setup, and those of us who would like our members giving us free exposure to their hundreds of friends on Facebook can have something more likely to catch their attention)

– Incorporate the facebook/twitter share feature into more than just status updates. Make it easy for people to instantly share their blogs, polls, videos, albums, events, etc to facebook/twitter. As it stands now, it's too many extra steps that most members won't take, reducing our free exposure

93. Ermir
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

No problems with upgrade to 4.1.4.

Guys, it's better if you try manually moving via FTP the packages to the ./temporary/packages/archives directory and then go to Packages & Plugins to complete the upgrade.

94. Posted April 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Event Profile Options block in the page manager doesn't show in the mobile events page. It does show in the groups page but not events. Please provide an update for this asap!

95. Ian
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Our members are compalining they don't have a way to unsubscribe to notifications for polls, photos, etc. like they can with a forum post (i.e. stop watching)

96. Ian
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Also, a notification feature to consider is only notifying someone of the most recent response to content they're subscribed to (forum post, poll, photo, blog, etc)

This way instead of getting 10 or 100 notifications all for the same content, they're notified once of a new reply and not until they've visited the content again.

This will keep members from being overwhelmed with status updates on the site and emails. And that keeps the strain on our servers down in regards to the emails its sending.

97. Ian
    Posted April 29, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Also, the updates in the top menubar do not clear after you've gone and viewed their respective content.

For instance, if I have an update letting me know about five responses to a forum post I'm subscribed to, and I visit that post, the Updates block still displays those notifications as unread.

Would be nice for them to auto-clear rather than forcing members to take an additional step to mark all read.

Also makes it harder for them to sift through many updates as it could be easy to miss something on a busy site

98. Ian
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 4:08 am | Permalink

In our forum we've got a thread where people share video clips from youtube and it will display some of them and others will show an empty box with a picture in the top left corner.

This changes from refresh to refresh, sometimes it displays all the videos posted in the thread, other times one may not show or three, etc.

It doesn't appear to be consistant with any specific clips, and we do not have the video module, just the forum and people share via the embed media function.

99. Jim
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink

I am currently running an older version of SE4. Aside from constant complaints from our members regarding an issue causing many profiles to be un-viewable even after friendships between the parties have been confirmed (which should be unnecessary since I have everything set to make all users accessible no matter the friendship status) the version I have works reasonably well.

Even as annoying as the seemingly random "You do not have permission to view this page" messages are to my members, who are understandably finding this to be a rather large impediment on a "Social Network" I still hesitate to upgrade to this new version. People here are describing some really serious sounding flaws such as the one where members are tossed if the admin views their profile! I'm not a programmer, just a customer who bought SE4 and several plugins in hopes of providing an interesting and interactive wing to my site.

Some of those plugins like the awful Chat/IM, had to be tossed and replaced with far more functional after market replacements ASAP! … and then there's that glue-footed "Forum" plug in, which is only recognizable as a "Forum" if a person hasn't been on the internet since 1997! I'm sincerely hoping there's a "Cometchat" type version of that out there somewhere, so I can buy it and provide an actual, usable message board for my members, instead of the cloddy, square wheeled thing that showed up on my site after I bought the plug in and hyped all my members up about the "Forum" I was adding. That thing was a real dissapoinment, I almost felt embarassed.

I don't really think I would be exeptional here by just asking for a more solid BASE or CORE for SE?

It would be SO USEFUL to people trying to run and expand these sites if we could count on the BASICS functioning correctly!

1. I am flooded with complaints from people telling me they can't see their "Friend's" profiles. Why is this happeneing? How can I fix it? This has been happening since I first launched, but it is becoming a real handicap and detriment now that the site is more populated and people's desire to interact is making this problem more frequently evident.

2. When members post an album of photos, they are posting as viewable by "Just Me" by default. This has also been causing a problem but I think I may have remedied this by taking away all privacy options regaurding the photo albums. It's been a real pain in the ass to have to go and manually fix all those albums after tons of people ask me why they can't see them.

I know I sound like a complainer, and I really do love the potential of this software, and it's approachability.

I would not have railed against some of those plugins if I hadn't experienced the difference between the peg legged "chat/IM" plug in I got from Social Engine for $40 and the one I bought from another vendor recently for $50 which works SO much better… To the point where it's really beyond comparison… For the first time, I can chat with some people on my site without having them ask me "Do you have AOL or Yahoo IM?" almost immediately! That was always a real bummer!

PLEASE, instead of upgrades and new releases full of things like:

"SE 4.8.4! – Members can now create 1 way, 2 way, Bi-Lingual Multilevel 1/2 way, or… Big'ol Gang Way friendships with touch sensitive emotional inflection!!!"

Can we just have:

"Jim, thanks for updating the software! The site is so much more enjoyable now that when I try to visit someone's profile I don't get that "You don't have permission to view this page" message, even after we are confirmed friends!"

Can't we just get the basic functions working really solidly?

Thanks for you patience!

Jim H

100. Ian
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Some instances of members getting unsubscribed from threads in the forum and not receiving updates/notifications.

Attempts to resubscribe by checking off the notification checkbox when posting a reply do not seem to be sticking for them.

101. Jack
    Posted May 2, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I checked mobile site and it displays code here:

style="width:navigation))?(100-($count-1)*floor(100/count($this->navigation))):floor(100/count($this->navigation)))?>%;">

I just installed SE 4.1.4 and SE mobile 4.1.4.. This looks like that when I visit my mobile site.

102. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

does anyone know where to place the files for the mobile plugin? I have been having a really hard time, it's not working through the root folder and then when I try to install package through "manage plugins" it gives me an error…anyone?

103. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Unable to load installer class Mobi_Installer
    This is the message that I get when trying to install the mobile plugin package…any suggestions?

104. Michael
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

What's with links on comments being messed up? You put a fix in the begining of this post in the comments but this doesn't work.

Why hasn't it been fixed in the se4.1.4 download yet?

105. Posted May 20, 2011 at 2:54 am | Permalink

whay you dint put the option to share photos from your phone this is the most commune future in Mobil application like facebook and twitter.
    so please add this future to the Mobil application please i will like to upload my picture from my phone on the go…

106. Nick
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I'm with the last comment, when will you add the option to "share" photos from your mobile phone as this is the most important part of a mobile feature?

107. Posted November 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

yes, have we got the feature to share photo from my phone yet?

108. Matt
    Posted November 9, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

The Mobile Plugin allows users to visit the site through the mobile browser on whichever phone platform they own. It is not a downloadable "app", so unfortunately uploading is not supported by iOS.