Upcoming Feature: reCAPTCHA (Anti-Spam Registration)

Hello SE Fans,

Want to stop bots from registering to your SocialEngine site? reCAPTCHA is the solution! reCAPTCHA is a completely FREE SERVICE that makes it harder for spam bots to register on your site. Below is a screenshot of it in action.

reCAPTCHA

You might have already seen this feature in action in many of the popular websites you visit like Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube. It’s a pretty effective anti-spam tool and we are going to incorporate it into the next version release of SocialEngine. You can learn more about reCAPTCHA by visiting this page: http://www.google.com/recaptcha

The next version will be releasing this month – make sure to watch out for it!

1. Tarachand
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Great Re-Captcha was very awaited.
    When are you going to release the new version?
    I was expecting it on the new year!
    Please do something about the posting at the walls, it re-loads for every now and then.

Regards.

2. jaedollah
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Nice

3. Posted January 10, 2012 at 4:45 am | Permalink

At last, forever deleting unwanted guests !

4. Halal
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 5:19 am | Permalink

I have been using reCaptcha for quite a while by intergrating it in application/modules/User/Form/Signup/Account.php and all registration by spam bots have stopped. It is goot you have added it as a feature as is very effective.

5. christophe
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Most of the time, the real problem on SE sites is with chinese manualy assisted bots. For this, ReCaptcha will bring you nothing. The only advantage compared with the present captcha is you can reload the words, that's all.

6. Ermir
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Very useful. Great job SE!

7. Fatih
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Great!

8. Aleem
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

hope this can stop chinese spammers

9. Posted January 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I had already switched to recaptcha but that wasn't enough. Spam was still getting through. I got spamtrawler and wow… we have not has a single spam signup in over a month. Spamtrawler blocks them before they even hit your signup page by using Ip addresses, hostname, and email addresses gather from places like stopforumspam.com, project honey pot, spamhaus etc.. and blocking the offenders at the gate. I love it. Recaptcha helps but spamtrawler is a god send plus you get a wealth of spam reports which I find very useful.

10. Rodrigo
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

have to improve this registration form, a check to see if ajax is already used e-mail address and profile address is absolutely necessary, no one noticed this yet? =/

11. ladda
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 5:11 am | Permalink

thank you.my website have a lot spam

12. Posted January 11, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

nice addition ! I dont usually get spammed but I will use it anyways

13. Global
    Posted January 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

very very awsome guys!!! Very excited! May I also suggest a sortable column in the members registration page for ips? It would make things so much easier to id bad ips that keep spamming a project.

cheers!

14. Posted January 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I use Recaptcha now & I still have to delete 10 to 20 chinese spammers every day! I might have to look into this Spamtrawler Julia T.
    Thanks for the Tip

15. Posted January 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

works fine!

16. Posted January 12, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Great to see this Jasper. :) Any Q&A type of anti-spam measure in the works? This is what really stopped spammers on my vb site. I'm still keeping an eye on SE for my next platform, but it needs strong anti-spam controls like this.

17. Posted January 12, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

We used to have a lot of spam on Geazle.com daily. It was getting to a point of great annoyance. It was decided to add an integer question during the sign up process; the spam count is down to almost zero weekly. Since the implementation of that question over three months ago the spam count is not greater than 10. We are not sure but for some reason after this additional question the site is almost spam free. You can try it on your site and let us know if it makes any difference.

18. Posted January 29, 2012 at 5:44 am | Permalink

I was getting killed by those Chinese spammers until I found a very simple secret without all these recaptcha stuff. I've never been spam free. I can and will share with other serious owners out there

19. Posted February 12, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Hi! I have added Public and Private key for google ReCaptcha, but not working, Whats the problem?

20. Mercedes
    Posted February 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I finally stop all those Chinese spam, installing free:

– cPanel ClamAv (Virus Protection for Email and Filemanager Uploads) on WHM > cPanel >Manage Plugins and tick ClamAv and free Spamdconf (spamd startup configuration editor). Next go to Home > Plugins to configure them.

– And the finally solution was adding; Perl Module Akismet on WHM > Software > Module Installers, and search & install Akismet. See info on http://akismet.com/

No spam lately :-)