SocialEngine 4.2.1 Released!

Please refer to this link for the 4.2.2 release.

This release focuses on stability, with a few feature additions, and we hope your communities appreciate the improvements. 4.2.1 is now available to download, and please check out our CHANGELOG for the complete list of updates. Don’t forget to backup!

Here’s some highlights:

• Improved Wibiya Toolbar integration.
  • Option for mandatory profile images during the signup process.
  • Option to disable the Janrain publishing feature.

Please contact us if you have any questions!

UPDATE: We’ve patched the mandatory photo issue. Here is the download!

1. Jonathan
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Does this fix the problem where when people reply to blog posts or videos, etc. that all paragraph breaks in their replies were removed?

2. REDA
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 3:38 am | Permalink

good i'll try this. plz can u give us more ability to modify pages and a simple solutions to make themes and templates.

keep the good job socialengine team

3. Posted February 23, 2012 at 3:47 am | Permalink

bonjours à tous …Nouveau Réseaux Sociaux GrabNet

4. c
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Speed..speed..speed

5. Dan
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 6:24 am | Permalink

Thanks for the update, is this the bi-monthly release or are we to expect another update in March or is the next update going to be in about two months? Need to know for allot of custom updates to be done, cheers.

6. Michael
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 10:12 am | Permalink

It would be great if you guys can fix the line break issue in profile pages as at the moment you can not have line break within a profile page.

7. Posted February 23, 2012 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Speed. I turned off the cache … my socialnet is "flying"!

8. Thomas
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Where is the speed ? I don't see this

9. Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Does it fixed the paragraph breaks in the entries for member profile fields. All paragraph breaks (entered during profile creation) disappear on member profiles page.

10. Mustafa
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

you've already sign-up testing?

Thanks :-)

11. Posted February 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Great job! Keep it up!

12. Giovanni
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I wanted to thank you because you did an amazing job!THANKS SO MUCH

JOHN S.

13. rony
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Good job guys.
    but am 100% certain that everyone in here would like to see 1 and only 1 major improvement.

The speed issue.

14. Julie
    Posted February 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

This HAS fixed not being able to comment or like on posts in activity feed, as well as not being able to edit photo. Cheers.

15. Posted February 24, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Wanna try …

16. Rob
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Awesome! – I'll install this tomorrow :)

17. Ferry
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

The speed issue is indeed a bummer. Have a very good dedicated server with fiber speed and still it's too slow. Also when commenting on an photo it does not sync with activity feed. This would be a good improvement because you don't have double queries and 2 seperate comment areas for 1 photo

18. Global
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

need the speed! Please!

19. Posted February 25, 2012 at 1:33 am | Permalink

I am about 14 days into using a 30 day trial 4.20. I am at a loss as to what I should do. I like the program and I've already spent considerable time building it and I already have about 20 subscribers. I can only hope this update will speed things up or the issue is related to my server or some other issue that can be resolved. As of now, the 4.20 is far to slow to be usable. Does this release help? Has anyone else experienced this being this slow? I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong because I can't believe they would think Socialengine is ready to be released on the market if this is the way it is. This is my site if anyone wants to take a look or has any suggestions: http://www.LibertyVoter.Org

20. Paul
    Posted February 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

any one else notice you can't duplicate the profile questions anymore via the admin cp?

21. James
    Posted February 25, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

JulieM – could you confirm that it is now possible for a user to change their profile photo at any time, without needing to enable 'edit profile style' option (thus giving ability to also install custom css)? Thanks.

22. Nick S.
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Thank yoou. Can't wait to test.

23. Salvatore
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

After the last update the page display is very slow.
    My dedicated server i7 920 2.66 GHz processor with 24GB of RAM and 100Mbit bandwidth can not give good results with very few users connected.
    I disabled the cache and now it goes a little better, though not the same as before.
    I ask you please to solve the problem.
    Thank you.

24. Massimo B.
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Let alone the new features, focus your attention on performance.
    Thanks.

25. Rick
    Posted February 26, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I do not see a speed issue with this script. I use MaxCDN for static content and also APC. I did have some performance issues when adding some third party plugins, but I just decided not to use those.

26. Cheryl
    Posted February 27, 2012 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Hello, I have bought the socialengine software and updated to the new version and noticed that the speed is even worse than the speed of previous versions, which gets frustrating and makes me afraid to market my site too much for fear of constant complaints from a lot of users. Just wanted to know what we can as socialengine software buyers, what we can do to increase the speed of the socialengine software. I have noticed that for several years buyers have been complaining about the speed issue and nothing is really being done to change it, so I am going to assume that this cannot be changed from socialengine end, this defect was built into the system. This is a major issue, and I just would like to know what I can do on my end …. any specific steps that I can take on my end to increase the speed of this software.

Thank you.

27. Avraham
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

This update does not prevent people who do not upload profile photo to do so! People are still joining without profile photo. You guys need to fix this issue

28. Posted February 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Why is this in a zip file? All the other Updates are .tar files. More of a pain to install.

If everyone wants more speed, there are plenty of things that you can do to your server to help speed things up. Sure SE could be better, but you can also help yourself instead of just pissing and moaning.

29. Design Team
    Posted March 1, 2012 at 12:55 am | Permalink

please update SE4 HTML canvas to support latest HTML5. Great job..

30. Posted March 2, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Guys what will be great is to integrate some sort of video in the Chat so that you can use your webcam and see who you are chatting with….. I am no big programmer but at the moment i am trying to integrate skype into it but having a bit of a problem so i am passing the buck onto your guys as it will take you a shorter to get it done…… the idea is to use skype to video chat only with your friends on the site.

31. Posted March 2, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know of a plugin or can point me in the right direction, i am looking for something where i can put my members in different membership levels automatically depending on their age group and by effect have content that's age group specific

32. Martin
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Bug report: Mandatory profile photos does not work plus The default photo is triggered as a photo, so people are also just clicking save and going on.

33. Ferry
    Posted March 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I've heard that people don't want to stay on the website because of the speed :( i want to use maxCDN but you have to pay for it. What kind of cache should i use? APC or memcache?

34. Posted March 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

When you go to demo.socialengine.net it takes about 3 seconds to load the page. Facebook for example loads in less than a second. I have tweaked my website with APC but when i add updates to the frontpage it takes 3 seconds to load. When i remove updates from the frontpage it takes 1/2 seconds. So there can be much improvement.

35. Posted March 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

We are on http://www.seohost.ch SocialEngine. use We are convinced by this tool.

Sven

36. Posted March 19, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Hard to see the performance on shared hosting like mine. But I am happy now after using a trick with js and get A on page speed (although still grade B on yslow)

37. Global
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

is it my imagination, or is SE getting slower? What is going on with the speed issues? What is causing this?

38. Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Still with SE 3 and looking to move to SE 4 because of speed issue. Now reading this I am rethinking my direction ? http://www.salongalaxy.com

39. yanni
    Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:05 am | Permalink

do you offer this installation? can you install it for me? i dont really know how to do this.

40. Posted March 24, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Really need to concentrate on fixing the carriage return line on the 'events' and 'groups' plugin as i have not been able to use this since i purchased nearly 2 months ago. Not happy at all! I have paid for a package that doesnt work and i was told this would be fixed on this update and it has not!
    This is not a small bug that should be over looked, it is a bug that is not allowing my members to use any of these 2 plugins.
    Please somebody fix this :)

41. Richard
    Posted April 21, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

@Chris @Bhupender @Michael The line breaks error was resolved in 4.2.3 for About Me in Profile and Events, however in Groups I do not see this error. To review this please contact us here: socialengine.net/contact and we will take a look.

@Martin @Avraham The mandatory photo error is now resolved completely in 4.2.3

@Yanni Yes, an installation service is available for purchase from the client area here: socialengine/net/client.

@Art @Indoaqua @Ferry @Global @Cheryl The speed of the site is dependent on the server you are running on. To improve the speed of the site in version 4 there are several things which can be done by following these instructions: http://www.socialengine.net/support/article?q=200&question=SocialEngine-Performance-and-Speed-Enhancement-Tips

@Paul M The duplicate profile questions error is now resolved in a latest version of SocialEngine

42. Mark Matanza
    Posted October 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Like i keep saying, I’ve posted in last year and the year before that when I purchased socialengine back in 2010 – these guys need to go back to drawing board. I really don’t care about all the new features socialengine is coming out every year. The load time shouldn’t be this SLOW. Even with one member, the site is exceedingly slow already. I’d be more than happy to deploy my copy of socialengine if this was fixed, but why should I invest in something that requires more $$. I already bought it for $299. Geez man.