Tips and Tutorials: Selecting a Server for your Community

So you’re ready to create a social networking community with SocialEngine. To start, you need a server. Already have one? Great! Don’t have one? No sweat. It’s as simple as signing up with a company like Arvixe who offers optimized servers configured for SocialEngine. Arvixe is not your only option either. Really, any server that meets our requirements is capable of running SocialEngine. Check out hosting providers like HostUpon and SiteGround as well.

When shopping for a server, the choices are shared hosting servers, virtual private servers, and dedicated servers. Which one to choose? For optimal performance we recommend starting with a dedicated server, but you can certainly start smaller with shared hosting or a VPS, and upgrade as the resource demand grows. Using the CDN storage feature as your storage system allows you to store content externally which frees up server resources. A dynamic application like SocialEngine requires more resources than static content websites due to the amount of activity generated by members in the social network. For more detailed explanations as well as performance tips, check out this support article!

Next is installation! This tutorial guides you through the necessary steps so you can perform the installation yourself. Otherwise, we offer a $30 installation service you can purchase to have our staff perform the install, or if you’ve gone with Arvixe, they’ll install SocialEngine for you. Since SocialEngine runs out of the box, you’re good to go at this point! Use the Admin Panel to configure your settings, and build your social network!

Looking to bounce questions off other SocialEngine users? Visit these unofficial forums, SocialEngineCamp and SocialEngine Base!

1. Posted April 14, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Please do yourself a GIGANTIC favor and stay as far away from Arvixe as you can. Quite possibly the absolute worst web host in the known universe. I appreciate that SE has a deal with them and so its in their best interest to have SE users sign up with Arvixe, but if you want to be stressed out of your mind with server/website issues and get miserable support choose Arvixe. If you want to have a website that works properly and if something goes wrong, you get decent support from your web host choose any other company. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson the hard way. I hope that others can learn from my unfortunate mistake,

2. Martyn Hughes
    Posted April 14, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink

I would not recommend Arvixe at all. We had less than 5 concurrent users and 100 total registered users. They suspended our site for high use, even on their business class hosting, and our site was slow as hell.

They were no help at all and did nothing but make excuses and try and upsell us a dedicated or virtual server.

In the end we went with a dedicated server as we feel it is impossible to run even a small Sociale Engine site without it. We went with 1and1.com and since then our site has been fine… at least for the very limited user base we currently have.

3. Posted April 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

To speedup your server and handling more requests and cache everything of your server based in europe you can use megasity web accelerator protocol service for 1.99 pounds a week. It is a X cache based reverse proxy server handling maximum 3 gb of cache files of your server. Easy as 1, 2, 3. Sign up at http://www.megasity.com with reverse proxy service subscription.

4. David
    Posted April 15, 2012 at 4:52 am | Permalink

CloudFlare is awesome! Their service was able to mitigate a DDOS attack upon my server. And the price is phenomenal too! I ended up ditching Arvixe because their shared hosting was a joke and so was their VPN offering. Don't ever consider signing up with tmdhosting.com… see http://tmdhostingsucks.com for details.

I ended up setting up a highly customized dedicated solution with Nginx on top of FreeBSD and solid state disk drives. My site is very fast and very stable on a x3450 server. I routinely have between 30 and 130 people on the site. I highly recommend ZFS on boot for the FreeBSD setup. If you find a server admin that knows NGINX and FreeBSD consider yourself very lucky!

Peace!

Super Dave

5. Posted April 18, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I use Wiredtree.com They have been AMAZING – I have 40 000 members and never have any problems in the 3 years I have used them.

Their service is amazing – their staff really go the extra mile I don't think I'll ever change companies!

Jane

6. Posted April 24, 2012 at 2:59 am | Permalink

ScaleEngine runs proper nginx/php-fpm/memcached/mysql for SocialEngine, and makes it fast and responsive.

7. Jaspert
    Posted July 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Scale Engine?? what is that? nginx/php-fpm/memcached/mysql………..is this something i have to install separately and where can i get this? I’ve been trying to make my site fast…….right now it has about 5 sec load time……..the First Byte Time is very slow and i don’t know the cause of it…………it takes 2-4 sec for the First Byte Time before things get rendered. Please help me anyone………i want to fix that issue before i even think of CDN/Cloud technology.

8. Katherine
    Posted July 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

TMD Hosting were the worst, they made so many mistakes I could write a book about it, and deleted half of my members twice, by accident those members were permanently lost.. Stay away from TMD.

Would like to find a server that doesn’t cost $300 a month, considering our sites have about 1,000 members the cost seems extreme. Any suggestions?

9. Private
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Hi Jane. Questions is, how many concurrent users do you have? Thanks for the feedback as we all have been kept in the dark with this problem.

10. Posted April 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

check our http://www.liquidweb.com Theta where we went after putting up with BS from Arvixe. Muuucchh better..

11. Posted April 12, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

We moved from Arvixe to http://www.liquidweb.com.. Very good..