SE5 private beta now open to clients

Ok guys, the SE5 private beta is up and running. If you’re a current SE site owner, sign in to your account to get the beta link and request access. We’ll be rolling in small groups of people every day, with priority given to third-party developers and active SE4 site owners.

Reminder: This is an early beta – it’s definitely not a finished product. Things will still be buggy. The goal for this beta is to get constructive feedback from all of you smart people about bugs and potential improvements, especially from an end-user’s perspective. Feature requests and other ideas are also appreciated!

Also, keep in mind that feature-wise, SE5 is very distinct from SE4. SE5 is much simpler and more focused on link/media-sharing and curation around interests and integrating with other social channels like Twitter and Facebook. The point isn’t to compare the two products, but rather to help us iron out the kinks in SE5 and gather your thoughts on the basic features already in place. Also, the theme you’ll see here is just one of many we’ll release. This theme is designed to let you launch a site with mechanics similar to Reddit, Quora or Hacker News, but we’ll have other themes that let you build all kinds of things. The possibilities are limitless! I’ll talk more on this with a follow-up blog post in the coming week.

Finally, keep an eye out for our upcoming SE4 development roadmap. Richard will be publishing it in the next few days!

1. disqus_y0ozm4P5Ng
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Please dont stop v4 development !..You guys have said the same with V2, then same with v3 and now with v4.. this is a hectic with us. As you understand yourself..you are very welcome to do business with v5 but there are more opportunities in v4 as well. So please keep on releasing updates for v4 even if your run v5 in your own server.

2. Mohamed
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Please do!

3. Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Guys, we are definitely not stopping SE4 development. Our next blog entry will detail all the improvements coming up in the next release, as well as a longer-term roadmap for SE4 features we’ll add. We’ll be opening it up to you guys to help us decide what new features to implement.

4. Osei
    Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

same here i hope the actually create an app directory like phpfox did

5. Posted August 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

“Finally, keep an eye out for our upcoming SE4 development roadmap” , well how about integrating activity feed with one of this…
    Self-hosted APE server, BeaconPush, PusherApp, or PubNub
    it will lighten up social engine :)

6. Posted August 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I suggest you name both products differently instead of numbered versions, like “community edition” and/or “hosted edition” to whichever it would make sense as numbered versions create a misconception that one will be abandoned.

Anyway, I’m exploring the beta now, it’s great and its definitely a different engine than 4. You’re gonna create an entirely new client base for this one :)

7. Posted August 24, 2012 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Can you tell us more? What’s the benefit?

8. juanachosilverado
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Hello Alex, I already applied for the SE5 private beta, I’m just waiting for the invitation code…

I would really like to see how it works and how it would affect my SE since I already have 1429 members and growing each day…
    I would also like to know how the transition would be…thank you for your time

9. Posted August 24, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Hey Social Engine,
    i have requested for the beta. Can you send me the link please. Need to really test this thing!
    Arigi Obiero

10. Max
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Please give me an invite, i can’t to post a ticket

11. Posted August 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

o / Waiting for approval.

12. a100f
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Please give me an invite, i can’t to post a ticket

13. Amando
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

@abenzer:disqus I am just a customer, not a shareholder, investor nor work at your company, but I believe you should reconsider SE5 (besides it’s name, that leads to confusion among customers) policy about hosted service and the fact that SE4 has been abandoned for months (no major updates, no improvements, just fixing bugs, adding trivial features). This roadmap should be posted before your company began actually doing SE5, not now with all the buzz and the complains you received when you made your first post about it. When you stated you have will not stop SE4 development, I only have to see the updates you have released in the last year. To me, that is as almost stopping developing of SE4, despite some trivial updates with no major enhancements. Being a small company and developing SE4, SE5, FanMix is not plausible. I sent an email almost a year ago some messages (to Matt) about the need of an API (I see on SE5, but SE4….), and diffing the code among version I still see there is a lot of work to do with SE4. I understand that you want to keep somewhat users not fear, about SE4, but just look to your releases to notice that is has been abandoned for a long time. With SE5 or you double or triple your staff or the kind of work SE4 needs, would not be plausible. My 2 cents…

14. Patrick
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I agree with you. SE 4 is enough to do all kinds I have seen in SE 5. Only difference is that Webligo will host it. (Not really required !). I want.. as a very old customer that they release more advance updates in SE 4. I surely dont want webligo to stop their SE5 business. They can carry on without disrupting the SE4 advanced development. Other developers are charging tons of money for their plugins and some stop their work without development or upgrades (such as SocialEngineMods.net). These company steals money but dont care to upgrade their plugins for V4. We as a customer loose lots of money on it and again spend same amount of money to other developer for same plugins. So as a request if you (Webligo Company) can release all plugins and sell it your self with a reasonable price ($20 – $40) then we really dont need V5. We dont need to host in your server with fear the plugin wont work !.. If you give certain requirement/VPS needs then this will solve major problems with SE clients. We also dont need to wait for other developer to upgrade their plugins. (Most dont do.). This way our Social Network are fast, No downtime with failed plugin, less emails to Hosting Company and peace of mind.

Please consider a matured thought on this topic. Final Decision are definitely upon the company but playing like this is ridicilious. Started with V2, then V3 and now V4. I hope in next 2 year or so you might tell us SE6… Will be complete new and bla bla bla..

15. plexaz
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

OMG! That is exactly right! Very good suggestion.

16. java
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

I strongly suggest that SE4 and SE5 be named differently……… to save us the heartache it is glaring that as it is SE4 will be depreciated……….. overtime I hope Alex and SE team reconsider the product names…..

17. Patrick
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

My comment did not get posted ! is it being moderated?

18. Host on Cloud
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

yes its faster then ever, looking forward to SE5 Plugins – Chat, forum, Group…

19. Morne
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Totally New Concept – Give It A New Name!!
    Just stupid to call it SE5!!
    Please advise SE4 roadmap for improvements, new features and final bug free version?!?

20. Morne
    Posted August 25, 2012 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Thanks for beta access!
    I must say I am absolutely not very impressed with what I see!
    I sincerely hope you guys are going to do some serious work on this before you release it at a price, as it is at the moment I reckon you need at least another 12 months to make this new software into something that will excite me.
    For now I am totally not convinced to even start considering changing.

If sharetronix/microblogging type thing is what people are looking for then this new software might be it.
    Unless I am missing the plot completely??
    This definitely cannot be compared to SE4 at the moment, it does not even come close.
    You should rather only have released beta version in it’s final testing form once it had all the basic functionality similar to SE4 added, for proper testing.
    For now it looks like a cheap program with some fancy skinning.
    Please announce when we can log in again to test new features that more closely resemble what we have been loving with SE4. Or as everyone is suggesting, give it a new product name….

21. Posted August 25, 2012 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Waited for so long to see a ‘Curation-Engine’. Great news. Let me have an invite.

22. skidpics
    Posted August 25, 2012 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Keep in mind a lot of us wasted a lot of time ‘testing’ SE4 through all the bugs without actually getting anything out of it in the end.. I tested Boonex Dolphin and got a free license.. I don’t mind looking things over, but actually help beta test for nothing in the end is really not worth it…

23. molecular
    Posted August 25, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

This is exactly what I welcome. When I decided back in 2009 to develop an Academic community the SE platform was the best I could find out there. I welcomed the introduction of SE4. I am using SE4 and planning to stay with SE4 because it suits my platform and ideas. SE5 will be great for some people no matter what. However, SE4 is best for my site. I would like to see that you guys provide more features within the core such as ability to take a pic during signing up process API and so on….

24. Posted August 26, 2012 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Hi @abenzer:disqus . Why haven’t I got my invite. Requested yesterday. Been an SE customer form the beginning

25. Maelle
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Please stop SE5 development and focus on SE4, your company cannot to both and knowing your track record, you will abandon SE4 due to lack of resources. You cannot even provide proper SE4 customer support for people who pay for it… you should focus on that and making SE4 great.

26. Patrick
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 2:43 am | Permalink

You are right. SE5 announcement is a bhooo.. it does not suit our need and its a completely different product. Why are we and they wasting each other time with unrelated stuff.. Just release updates for v4 and if required we can pay a small fee as well. But until now I dont see any major release. Its only like SE is learning and playing around.. fixing small bugs which they create themself. This is like a experiment to them. I guess.

27. Patrick
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 2:44 am | Permalink

One of my comment is missing !.. can Webligo or @abenzer:disqus expain where did it go? am i only not seeing it? or is it deleted.

28. Maelle
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Then why are you having two entirely different platforms. SE5 should not be Social Engine it should be named something else and then SE5 should be a continuation and massive improvement of SE4 not a deviation to screw us all; You dont listen to your customers NO ONE here wants this edition of SE5, please here us.

29. Maelle
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 8:48 am | Permalink

They should call the hosted edition “Alternative SE” and fix SE4… we have so many problems with SE4 which need fixing and have invested enough money already.

30. Patrick
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

” We’ll be opening it up to you guys to help us decide what new features to implement. ”

@abenzer:disqus Are you sure about it?

31. Patrick
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

You are 100% correct. This is experimental things and time consuming for us … but money making stragedy for Webligo !.. Everyone knows (Who upgraded from SE3 – 4) how difficult and headache was it to migrate and be patience with bugs !.. If things goes this way then We might have to move on and just not worry about stuff Webligo brings on their playground…

32. smooth
    Posted August 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I agree this is like so frustrating..im just getting to understand SE4 then this confusion!!Please i spent too much money to start a fresh Keep the v5 but i think SE4 should be top priority…

33. up&down
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

i have question guys. For example, If social engine stop update SE4 or abandon SE4 in future. Can we just keep use SE4 and can we find third party people start update SE4 our own?

34. Posted August 27, 2012 at 10:37 am | Permalink

You are always free to do whatever modifications or up keep to your SocialEngine 4 installation.

35. Posted August 27, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

In the last year and half the SocialEngine team has more than doubled. Our goal is to keep delivering updates and quality service to our existing SE4 customers as well as go after a new customer base with SE5.

36. John
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

new customer base? so are you referring SE 5 isnt “much” intended for SE 4 customer? Than why are you advertising to SE 4 uses with beta testing n stuff?.. Political intention is where Webligo is heading… !

37. John
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

@abenzer:disqus – Please stop looking for benefits. Please take a moment to think about this few words.

1: SE will be a great super hit if you focus and develop great plugins like 3rd party devs do. Lots of money from plugins and words spread via goodwill. Social Network is growing like crazie and probably will rest soon as well.. but you have more paying customer base and good ratings than anyother. If you make a mistake here then you will not succeed, I think.

2: You can bring loads of great concepts into market !.. just like SE5 prototype you made. Just name it different. People have made SE 4 a great part of their business. Now that you play around like game.. No one will appreciate. This will just ruin appreciation that you have earn. Even if you do make SE5 – make it so better that ppl will like and engage more.

3: You probably know that your main top priority is to make customer happy.

I hope you wont be a stubborn.

38. Amando
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Your goal “could be” to keep releasing quality updates, but the real fact is that for months we have seen no one. Adding some 3rd party integrations in the core is what you define as quality? Goals are goals, and reality is what your company has delivered. Until you don’t release an important update including what customers has been asking for ages, I am sorry to leave that message more than a “wish” than a fact. Not for repeating a message dozens of times, customers are going to believe this repeated answer until you demonstrate that we will get what we really deserve as loyal customers that helped your company to grow.

39. Lucas
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 4:19 am | Permalink

i just requested the invitation, when i will receive it?

40. Posted August 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Hey @disqus_XlQfCreHdT:disqus we’ve been getting hard with requests. Super excited about the level of interest everyone is showing us.

We’re working our way down the list and will add you as soon as we can.

Thanks!

41. Posted August 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Hey @facebook-1188822575:disqus I wanted to check-in with you and make sure you got setup on SE5 Beta.

42. molecular
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

That was a loaded question. The Intent is that you plan to abandon SE4. is that so?

43. harsha RKM
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Hello I want to build a site for short film makers whre i can host contests for them in short films, photography and letting them to build their own portfolio showcasing their skills. Should i wait for your new Software. Please tell. I can wait if the new one is awesome. my mail Id is harsha.mindblowing@gmail.com. please do reply

44. Ruben
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 4:57 am | Permalink

@abenzer:disqus About that roadmap, I am dying to be able to add VAT/Taxes to paid subscriptions. The Paypal is ready to go but SE payment module won’t let Paypal to add an extra line. Result is that I have to spend a ton of money to custom build this (already got a quote). Without the feature I can’t monetize my community (my business network needs specified VAT line for the IRS over here). I am sure there are more SE users who have to charge VAT? Will this be in the road map?

45. charlie
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

@abenzer:disqus SE4 is still absolutely not finished stable version and webligo starts to promote new SE5 software? Webligo stop making updates for SE3 after SE4 launched and this will happen with SE4 as well. Now I ask you for allowance to transfer/sell my SE license to a new license holder. I do not believe webligo anymore!!!

46. Guest
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 5:39 am | Permalink

47. Ferry
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 6:31 am | Permalink

This sucks. Everybody is saying that we have to focus on social engine 4 and that social engine 5 should be an upgrade not a monthly cost based application and still the staff doesn’t listen to the public. I’m getting regrets that i have paid that much for social engine. I should have stayed with the nulled version. If you want to listen to the public so badly please make a poll asking what the public want to have not trying to fill your pockets with this oh so great new platform.

48. Patrick
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

You are 100% correct @disqus_mM9bVQnEo1:disqus. @abenzer:disqus and his company is being very stubborn. Desipte of good arguments and well aware situation they dont want to change their decision. SE4 isn’t stable yet. So many features request has been submitted. Instead of applying it in V4 they are collecting ideas to use it in SE v5 and charge customers for their own ideas. I dont trust Webligo any more. They tend to go bad and its risky doing business with them. There will be a day when they will release V6 and tell customer that SE V6 has more to offer than V5 and ditch everyone in V5.. like we are having now… No one wants this Webligo.. Who are you trying to sell SE V5?

49. charlie
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

@abenzer:disqus how do you plan to charge hosted SE5?……$/month or $/users/month….?

50. admin222
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

I hate the fact that SE5 is going to be hosted by socialengine.com!!!! One of the main reasons why I bought SE was because I could host it on my server and my site data is not shared with any third party. I will wait and see if SE5 turns out as described above, I will go shop for another tool and will never recommend buying SE.

51. Tanu johanna
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Pls make on se5 mobile payment etc: fortumo, onebip gateways too.

52. Morne
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 4:12 am | Permalink
  53. Alfinator
    Posted September 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

I Agree with others focus on SE4!!!

54. Posted September 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Cool idea @google-a76feb248e468575f9f67b9d9dea3fa6:disqus

55. Posted September 7, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Initially I thought you would be losing on your USP by launching SE5. But I now I think its worth giving it a try. You never know if it might just pick up and as a company profits and earning is a priority.

And, if it doesn’t, you always have a lot of people who have spent a fortune over SE4, they have no other option but to stick with you 😛

All the best guys!

56. Posted September 24, 2012 at 9:54 am | Permalink

SE5? They can’t even get SE4 running right….The forgot password function on the homepage does not work or they have deleted my account in which I PAYED for, not PIRATED it like so many others have.

57. KlassiAdmin
    Posted October 23, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I signed in but there was no SE5 private beta link to be found anywhere, is it possible i can get a view of this please. much appreciated.