SE PHP 4.2.9 – Improved Search and Messaging

Our latest PHP release, 4.2.9, is ready for download. Time to backup and upgrade. As we outlined in our preview post, we’ve touched-up search and messaging. Browse the full changelog for more, and contact us for any questions, thanks!

Highlights:

• Improved Search – Custom pages are searchable, text search is now available for groups and events, there is a new Global Search Widget in the layout editor, and forum search improvements include search on main forum page and a search widget for the forum category page.
  • Improved Messaging – Added TinyMCE to compose message, and announcements can now be targeted to specific users based on Network, Member Level, or Member Type.
  • Bug Fixes – Added hyperlink features to the TinyMCE editor for all TinyMCE pages, dependent questions now appear in search form (browse members), fixed search result checking issues with polls, and the Memcache Port is now displayed on Performance and Caching Page properly.

Have any thoughts? Join the discussion below or message us.

Photo by Viv, from this Thanksgiving break. Happy Holidays from the SocialEngine team!

1. Nick Swartz
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Thank you. Can’t wait to upgrade. :)

2. Ankur
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Are we not supposed to have the Message in Popup? Has it already been included in this upgrade?

3. disqus_uGO1xf2en1
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Upgraded from trial to license plus Upgraded to latest version, now users can no longer post comments in ie9

4. Posted November 29, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Guys, you should schedule your releases for Mondays, not Fridays. You always have a lot of bugs and people who try to upgrade right away will always be frustrated because you offer no support during the week-end. At least with a release on Mondays you will be able to patch your release a bit quicker.

Just saying, I won’t try to upgrade even on a dev instance for at least 2 weeks, as that’s usually how long it takes for your clients to do the testing for you…

5. Posted November 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

For all the new clients of SE out there, it seems you thought you were buying quality software. Well, sorry to disappoint, but you were not :-( So my advice regarding upgrades:
    1) never ever upgrade in the first 2 weeks after a release: SE doesn’t test their releases, so there is always many bugs. Let the early upgraders find the bugs and wait for the patches.
    2) always upgrade on a development instance. Depending on your host, copy your entire install and DB, and do the upgrade on the copy. If fine, upgrade your production environment, but always do backups.

Honestly, they just release minor improvements anyway, and always add more bugs. You shouldn’t rush to try the upgrades, and certainly not on your production environment, as you will nearly always degrade the experience for your users.

Sad, I know. I’m not sure how the quality of SE engineers, but I sure as hell know their release process is amateurish at best to get so many bugs in each and every one of their releases.

6. saii
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I do agree with u julien
    i still why socialengine team is so lazy to correct and set issues free
    they keep on increasing the bugs….till now my site isnt in proper condition…i still worry
    these guys need to pull up their socks and take the work seriously
    These developers and programmers looks they lack good knowledge…….most of the ways they have put socialengine is pretty FOOLISH

7. saii
    Posted November 29, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Socialengine is just a LOOSER- hey guys grow up……y the heck u have implemented all the unnecessary stuff and forgot the important issues…….if u lack knowledge please go and do ur homework and come prepared

8. Posted November 29, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

The site doesn’t work in a development mode!

9. freddy24
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Did you do an upgrade to your site or was it a fresh install?

10. freddy24
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 12:40 am | Permalink

This really is beginning to look like a joke! (and) why is the demo installation of SE on their site still displaying version 4.2.6?????

11. Posted November 30, 2012 at 1:28 am | Permalink

upgrade

12. Robin
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 1:44 am | Permalink

This is stupid from SE Plattform was about to launch my site and later i got this message: Fatal error: Your trial license key has expired or is invalid. If you’ve already purchased SocialEngine, please see this KB article. Otherwise, please purchase a license here. in Unknown on line 0

I asked help to SE support and the only thing they told me is to extend my support so they can help me i think that is stupid and a bullcrap because thats an error that comes from their source not from a 3rd party plugin. if anyone is planing to buy this software i dont recomend it at all! and as I told them i was going to b posting blogs about this guys. now i have to delete everything and reinstall it again! and they can check my account and see the date i purchased my license and all their plugins. event some i not going to use like mobile plugin that i thing 3rd party Hire-Experts has a better one.

I bet those people whom are nulling this software knows more about this software than the creaters. if you are going to create something make sure you do it good and if ur software cause something like the message u are seing here you should not charge anything to fix it because is caused by ur source.

13. Guest
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

14. freddy24
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:06 am | Permalink

If you need help, try the SE4php Forum here: http://se4forum.com

15. Robin
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:11 am | Permalink

look what happened on my site. even when i have purchased a license a year ago.

they didnt want to fix that untill I extend the support. they are idiots pretending to be engineers.

16. Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:14 am | Permalink

I Think Social Engine is not good in terms of “ENGINE”. I am trying phpfox at the moment and sadly to SE Phpfox works 10 x faster with the same functionality. My question is WHY SE IS SO SLOW! Maybe there is some kind of slowing dowm bugs that need to be fixed… maybe there should be made developer’s competition – challenge for developers to “Speed up Social Engine” and the winner would have for example: 10 licences for Social Engine reward!

17. Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

and you really don’t want to be called “Slowcial Engine” Team

18. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 4:26 am | Permalink

USERS CANT UPLOAD PHOTOS EVEN AFTER I UPGRADED TO 4.9…. UPGRADE DID NOT FIX THIS.

19. sebas77
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:56 am | Permalink

our platform now is more than 10x faster using several tricks: optimizing slow queries (yes there are very slow queries in SE code, some really awkward), using apc-cache, using mod_deflate instead of the intern gzip option, using mod_pagespeed. So yes, SE guys can do a lot to optimize it, but your apache configuration is important as well

20. skidpics
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:28 am | Permalink

Did you purchase a key? If so, did they give you the same key, or new one?

21. skidpics
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Only install the upgrade on a development side folks.. What is a dev site? A copy of your current one. dev.blah.com all you do is delete the dev database each time and just copy your current, real db over to the dev database.. from there, upgrade and see how it works.. never be hasty… need some help? hatterwebdesign.com

22. saii
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:35 am | Permalink

Thats really pity robin…..u must have gone through a terrible state…..Socialengine unprofessional developers should know they charge hell of money…..they are not giving anythng for freee

23. saii
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Mine is like believe me guys….on each browser it is dffnt….lol
    what the hell is socialengine developers doing

24. saii
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:42 am | Permalink

they are to be called OUTDATE LAZY SLOWENGINE

25. Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:09 am | Permalink

So…will i choose hammer when i need to kill a mosquito?

This is obvious for… 10k users system to use VPS or dedicated servers to manage it. But Social Engine is so…. sloooow just after fresh installation.. where there is only one “Admin” member! I think the reason is tough code.

26. Lex Frost
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

After Upgrade I am not seeing the TinyMCE anywhere …

27. saii
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I DONT SEE GLOBAL EARCH ANYWHERE…..LOL

28. Darnell
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

When will all of the changes be added to the demo for testing before we decide to upgrade?

29. SolutionResponse
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

If you are having SE4 PHP performance issues related to speed, I highly recommend 7SkyHost hosting. I don’t experience any slowness anymore after leaving Arvixe and I have tried many others. Ask for Salman.

30. Posted November 30, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

too funny

31. Dan
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Hi SocialEngine team, why don’t you guys partner-up with one of the 3th party developing teams SocialEngineAddons, Hire-Experts, Younet, Webhive, Radcodes or any of the other developers that are determent to built new products for the Social Engine community? You really need to review your options because you can’t tell me your team is satisfied with all the complains being made over here over and over again. If you are satisfied with current results I’m starting to wonder what company Social Engine really is, and I’m guessing I’m not the only one.

A side from that, your loosing (potential) costumers and it won’t take long before people are starting to blog bad reviews about your product and support, if not already. Once that happens you will fail to reverse and correct it because that’s very near to impossible if not impossible to do that.

Also consider making Social Engine PHP open source, I’ve seen it coming by in comments before and it’s not a bad idea if you think about it. You will still be able to sell your licences and the community will help each other out at a much faster pace, resulting to a win-win for all.

Let me know your thoughts about this.
    Regards,
    Dan

32. sebas77
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

did you change platform?

33. sebas77
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

if they keep on investing so little on the platform, open sourcing is the only solution

34. Posted November 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

yes that is spot on

35. thatmtnman
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Is anyone having any issues with the 4.9 core tar not taking in the updates section? I upload it, it takes like 10 minutes, the progress bar reaches 100 per cent, and then just sits there. I’ve let it sit as long as 40 minutes. I’ve redownloaded the package, I’ve tried it in all of IE9, Firefox, Safari and Chrome with no joy.

Any insight appreciated.

36. Ed Clarke
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I have exactly the same issue. Unfortunately the support i paid for is useless. they are blaming my dedicated server. However i have a test site running on the same server and that upgrades fine. I am guessing it is an issue upgrading with a particular variable that was on 4.2.6 for me.. I am getting so stressed out with the lack of support i get from SE. I have purchased 3 licenses and spend thousands on plugins and 3rd party development. Does anyone know if it is possible to migrate all data from SE4 to phpfox. I have had it with SE

37. Posted November 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

It’s very disappointing to see that so many customers are not happy with Social Engine. I have been testing different CMS for 8 months. Social Engine seems to be what I’m looking for based on what I see on the demo site. Of course phpFox is also at the top, along with Skadate. SE has the highest cost by far, so there should be NO complaints at all from customers about the code or support. I guess the fact that this SE blog is provided with WordPress and not Social Engine is an indication of what is going on.

38. Posted November 30, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

On the other hand, SE is really not a CMS like wordpress so comparing the 2 doesn’t make a lot of sense…

Sent from my iPad

39. freddy24
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Yes, we had to change platform but we couldn’t export users or topics even though we tried…

40. Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

look, you should focus more on your current clients because if you lose them, you will lose your potential client either because people who spent lots of money on your product will not stand by and be quiet.. What I see from myself and other comments, this has already begun. You can avoid this only if you give us reason to belive you, and how you acting is clearly not the way. Don’t pretend you are doing something amazing lately, we are NOT impressed at all..

41. Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I CAN’T EVEN LOGIN TO THE SOCIALENGINE SITE! Anyone notice there’s no longer a login area on their home page! How the hell we supposed to login!?

42. Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Look in the footer menu under “Sign-in”. Don’t ask me why they’ve buried the essential link for their existing clients down there while there’s a big “Buy” button otherwise. Seems to illustrate how they view existing and new clients…

43. brolu
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Hi SE Team, if you don’t get to work 10 times harder and don’t lower your prices, you will be slaughtered by the competition. vBulletin 5 Connect is comming –> https://www.vbulletin.com Don’t mess up what you were set to achieve !!!

44. Villara
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I’m still with 4.2.4 because all that followed did not sound very stable. Is it even possible to go straight to 4.2.9?

Also, when you get hit with unstoppable Chin spammers you have to manually delete hundreds of fake submissions, and tip for you guys (been using this in my own scripts for years btw!)

1. new members go into a temp table that can be scrolled through any # at a time (50,100,200,etc), or can be flushed in one go (you know EMPTY table). Saves a lot of headaches and TIME!

2. another way is to charge new signups a symbolic $1 amount and only upon payment thereof are they added. But, that is NOT possible with SE because you guys have decided that a Free Plan CANNOT be the DEFAULT plan. Duh!

Not very handy! It is clear none of you at SE work with the software you make!

mama mia

John

45. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

ANY ONE HAS A COPY OF VERSION 4.2.7 …

Thanks

46. Guest
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

That looks pretty slick

47. Guest
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Julien, I agree completely. The fact they would put it down there just shows what kind of sense they have when it comes to user experience. Or when it comes to treating their clients well.

48. Posted November 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Julien, I agree completely. The fact that they would put it down there just
    shows what kind of sense they have when it comes to user experience. Or
    when it comes to treating their clients well.

49. Sucker
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

VBulletin 5 Connect guys! Get ready!!

50. Melanie
    Posted November 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

Wow, tempting!!! I’m getting complaints that our site is very slow! I’ll explore other avenues.

51. tcartr
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

LMAO, Googled them and people are accusing them of ripp offs and slow servers.

52. Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Tell me since you have optimize slow queries, have you touch the SE core codes? If yes how you deal with SE upgrades? BTW, how many users you have on your site? Can I see your site?

53. Posted December 1, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink

You get a good point here !

54. sebas77
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

yes, we use SVN to merge the code. It is not always straightforward, but we manage.

55. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

And by the looks of it, a lot of developers for SE4 also develop for PHPfox..

56. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:34 am | Permalink

For some reason, and I don’t know why, the extraction process doesn’t function or doesn’t function fast enough, resulting in this problem. I had pretty much the same problem with the last 3-4 I think. Give it about 10 munutes, then go back into package handler and try to process the upload.. Most of the time it will take it. I think the script is timing out.

57. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink
  58. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:37 am | Permalink

As I read, I think it is a widget you drop. Not sure if (why?) they wouldn’t just update the current search feature?

59. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

If you had a problem before the upgrade, then I would think you have a problem to start with. Why would an upgrade fix a current problem? It’s an upgrade, not a new install..

60. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:42 am | Permalink

This is simple marketing. Existing clients do not gain revenue while a large ‘buy now’ button for new customers to see does. There is not need to add a huge login link to the top of a page.. You already captured those people…

61. SolutionResponse
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:47 am | Permalink

tcartr. I can tell you, I am a new customer of 7Skyhost using Nginx dedicated server services and I have not had one issue with them related to performance. I have several custom apps, use over 17 plugins that are customized and it works very well for me on a site that receives 14-21k views per day and 2.6 million visits since 2011. So I give SE and 7SkyHost a BIG Thumbs Up! Thanks guys…

62. elmaacho
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

SE Team, please load the 4.2.9 bits to your demo site so we can test it!..That way we can iron out the bugs before even trying it on our Dev sites. I know there are alot unhappy customers right now, but just to let you know, some of us are willing to help out with your releases. I also want to let other users know that SE is not charging for these upgrades!. Even a big company like Apple, which has thousands of QA engineers, is now releasing products with defects. SE has a small team. From that said, I am proposing again to help SE with QA efforts. We are a small community and all of us are in the sameboat. (like it or not), so instead of complaining and blaming, let’s try to be constructive.Others please chime in.

63. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

The problem was not there till i upgraded to 4.2.8 and the reason for the upgreads are to fix bugs. 4.2.7 was fine

64. skidpics
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 8:44 am | Permalink

The problem isn’t on all sites that upgraded to 4.2.8. So that means you have a localized problem. What exactly is the issue details? You can install a new copy of se,then copy the db and /public directory over to see if that fixes it…

65. tcartr
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Agree., Microsoft still can’t get it right, check their regualr and numerous bug fixes.

66. Dan
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Where doomed :(

67. Lee
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 11:01 am | Permalink

I just want to add my 2 cents. I like this app, its been good for me, and runs great on my server. Thanks for a great tool.

68. Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

i would love to know how to do this as well.

69. theonlygreat
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

why couldnt you guys switch to Jquery from Mootools ? Phpfox did! they embrace the future, while you guys are still stuck at this outdated mootools ! .. do it and the third party developers are gonna adopt !.. im slowly having enough of this im begginning to consider switching to Phpfox aswell if this continue and so on !

70. Bedard_Michel
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I have no problem with speed SE need a good server and properly configured the performence of my SE is equivalent phpfox I left phpfox for SE phpfox He also many problem you will come back quickly social engine

71. freddy24
    Posted December 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I just bought VBulletin 5 Connect. Wow! That’s all I can say really… WOW!

72. Posted December 1, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

you should market this. as ppl would play money for it . I know I would

73. Posted December 2, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Check that your temporary and public folder has writing permissions. 8 out of 10 times it is the case. It is not a SE issue but your ftp sets/overwrites it incorrectly when updating. (google it “make folder writable by ftp”)

74. sebas77
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Well the solution is not optimal. In practice you create your SVN repo, copy the original source code, than you branch it. All your modification are always done in the branch (or in the trunk, does not really matter much). Then when it’s time to update, you update the source code of the branch that contains the original untouched code and eventually you merge the branch with the one you work with. In this way you need to merge only the files that actually SE touched…the only annoying thing is that the same file could be merged over and over since you can never integrate your code with the original source code.

75. Posted December 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Its very,very important suggestion! Jquery is far more popular, better developed and modern. And both libraries have collision one with another.

76. Nick Swartz
    Posted December 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

SocialEngine isn’t that bad If It takes a few seconds to load, really depends on how active and how many resources are being used by active users, the template system is a bit bloated although It’s workable.

77. freddy24
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 12:32 am | Permalink

I purchased it and WOW! It’s amazing… Fast, easy to use, and has API. The community part of the forum is breathtaking! Blogs, photos, activity stream, video upload etc… etc… Leaves SE4php for dead!

78. es7
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 1:37 am | Permalink

It’s easier to say than to do. There is not only SE core to rewrite for that, but also 300+ 3rd party plugins that uses mootools. There should be really good reasons for such migration.

79. es7
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Install ReCaptcha to get rid of new bot signups – that really works.

As to current spammers – consider our plugin Moderator Toolbox – to track spam accounts and delete them http://webhive.com.ua/store/product.php?id_product=44

80. sbmmm
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Eugene, how much time and energy would it take for a good 3rd party developer like you to convert an average plugin from mootools to jquery? What would the process be and how realistic is the possibility (from a pure coding point of view)?

81. es7
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

It depends on a plugin – from a day to more than a week per plugin. We have two dozens plugins. So the question – will it be worth it? Though it’s clear right now that jquery is more popular, but there is no much that can be done with one but can’t be done with other.

Keep in mind some of clients already have a lot of customizations and won’t work want to move to jquery. Coding is only one side, ongoing support is the other.

82. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for the info but does not for for us, like I said all was good when we were using 4.2.7. Dammit and I deleted my copy of 4.2.7.

83. Ryan Olson
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Has anyone else noticed that SE has not even made one comment on anything here? I have to tell you I have just bought 6 copies of PHPFox 3x to replace SE. I have had it with them. I really hope they go under and fast… I know they have a lot of money behind them, but I hope the investors realize a lost cause.

84. guest
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Administration error in manage theme area: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_RETURN in /application/themes/grid-gray/manifest.php on line 1

85. Posted December 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

freddy let us know when you get a site setup with it so we can take a look. I’ve been thinking the same thing actually. I’ve used vbulletin on a lot of sites and it’s such a solid platform. And really fast too.

86. sebas77
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

yeah…..but have you tried it? It seems really rough

87. Posted December 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

But if SE wants to be perspective platform, there has to be milestep made to avoid future 500+ 3rd party plugins coded in wrong way. I have yesterday installed SocialengineAddons’s Advanced Wall plugin.. and tabs didnt work because of jquery’s sider installed previously.

88. Posted December 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

SE PHP is already opensource when you buy a license.

89. es7
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 1:10 am | Permalink

I agree with you, jquery seems to be more promising right now. However when mootools was chosen they were equals.

For me jquery and mootools are just 2 toolboxes with set of tools in different colors. Yes, some of tools are different, but most of them are the same. There is no need to bring both heavy boxes if you need something as small as slider.
    I suggest you to consider mootools sliders as an alternative. We have one, which is fast and polished. It has admin panel and supports unlimited number of sliders http://webhive.com.ua/store/product.php?id_product=33

90. Ryan Olson
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 2:48 am | Permalink

SE is NOT opensource under the GNU Public License, and with Developers like you we are all Doomed!

91. Posted December 4, 2012 at 2:55 am | Permalink

@google-717b01d23bc77e2f3b76581a5bed42d2:disqus I’m aware that you don’t know the difference between licencing and opensource / source encryption. You don’t need to shout it to the community. Oranges and Apples!

92. sebas77
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 7:08 am | Permalink

usually with the term “open source” the license of sharing the code with others freely is involved.

93. sebas77
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

same problem here. css are screwed in dev mode

94. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

It looks that when you go to “Performance & Caching” and adjust this
    “Cache Lifetime” to like 70 and you check this “Flush cache?” and hit
    “Save Changes” that’s when after that we cant upload photos anymore……

Anyone has a copy of Socialengine 4.2.7 I can have??? >>>> 4.2.8 PHOTO UPLOAD NOT WORKING !!!

95. saii
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

well….really need to get changes which are imporatnt dudes….let we all get toghether and demand for the changes
    !) a pop-up message window with save profile,block profile,delete profile,view profile,history of messages sent earlier…ect
    2) remove the subject option for messages.
    3) in css make it a point that the website is suitable for all browsers and make more easy css that we can customise the way we want
    4)please remove the profile addresss( name it as username)
    pleasee make things easy n intresting rather than complication and fit for nothning

96. saii
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

2) remove the subject option for messages.

4)please remove the profile addresss( name it as username)

97. Dan
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

They don’t have any investors thats the whole problem, they are endlessly bootstrapping till they run their own company into the ground.

98. Guest
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Hello I cannot access plugin manager..from admin dashboard. when I try to, it dispalys “page cannot be found error”. When you change to development mode, and click on packages and plugins manager the same problem. I hope this is not a bug on SE PHP4.29…so far, Juien could be right:) ….and support so far, not impressive…after 3days

99. fatabjobe
    Posted December 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Hello I cannot access plugin manager..from admin dashboard. when I try to, it dispalys “page cannot be found error”. When you change to development mode, and click on packages and plugins manager the same problem. I hope this is not a bug on SE PHP4.29…so far, Julien could be right:) ….and support so far, not impressive…after 3days still waiting.

100. Ryan Olson
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 2:56 am | Permalink

And Ali – we all know how you like to manipulate people…

101. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 7:25 am | Permalink

It looks that when you go to “Performance & Caching” and adjust this
    “Cache Lifetime” to like 70 and you check this “Flush cache?” and hit
    “Save Changes” that’s when after that we cant upload photos anymore……

102. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

It looks that when you go to “Performance & Caching” and adjust this
    “Cache Lifetime” to like 70 and you check this “Flush cache?” and hit
    “Save Changes” that’s when after that we cant upload photos anymore……

103. sebas77
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

we installed this update, it is pretty weak. It works, but it does not really add nothing special neither fixes the previously reported bugs.

104. tcartr
    Posted December 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

What can I say? I am patient try not to rag on the team at SocialEngine but after upgrades things stop working and I send off a bug report to SocialEngine and get this same cut and paste reply that they were unable to replicate the error on their end so it is specific to my site so open a suport ticket??? well if they do not have the current version installed how can they know it is specific to me/ I don’t have 50 bucks to give to support eevry time a release has bugs. I left NING easily because that was a subscription but I am invested in this and it is not that easy to say to hell with it..please a little help, and not make your customers pay to fix bugs you created.
    I am completely frustrarted, I am not a whiz I bought it I just want it to work.

105. Posted December 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

One question to SE team: Do you believe we don’t deserve at least one reply? Some time ago, you responded to almost everything. What happened?

Just wanted to tell you how bad this is. Let’s build big community, not lock all doors and close behind your own 4 walls. Everyone will benefit from strong community, I just hope you will realize that soon…

106. Edward
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

please make a privacy for profile fields …………………. hiding birth year, options………….hide personal fields from the public which user wanted to make it private……… members avoiding the profile fields as this options not there….. make us happy on the new year release….. we expect a big gift from SE-TEAM

107. Guest
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I upgraded a few days ago and I’ve been looking for bugs, but everything seems to be running smoothly.

108. Ed Clarke
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:36 am | Permalink

hey, i get that response on every ticket. It makes the $60 a month support well worth it. I think SE Cloud is the death of this platform. I can’t even upgrade since i let SE upgrade for me. I guess they implemented a bug so i have to always use them for this now. FML and F their support

109. saii
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Heard SE is gona windup his business as they dont have well established developers for quality work….we need to pity ourself

110. saii
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

i alway had issues……..i had few members and all those vanished now…now

111. saii
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Grow up guys…..HEARD SOCIALENGINE is going to windup due to lack of developers……that shows how foolish ur work is……….

112. Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

That’s it! I have been trying to figure out this issue for days now. I did a fresh install and photos were working. After flushing cache you can’t upload them anymore. Question for you Renaldo, is your task manager working now? After flushing the cache, my system no longer sends out notification emails. Please let me know if it is the same on your end and test to see that messages are going out. Thx!

113. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Once you flush the cache in the
    performance and caching settings THE PROBLEMS BEGIN photos not
    uploading!

We need some help here.

Thanks.

114. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Nothing works, same crap here. SE has become the worst. They are concentrating on SE-Cloud with all new features and left us behind.

115. Bedard_Michel
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Suggestion authorized the gif animated on the wall

116. Dee
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

After careful consideration I am no longer interested in socialengine at all. I have read many of the comments and I am looking forward to Bbulletin where everyone seems to say there platform is faster better and easier, I understand where socialengine clients are coming from SE is not replying to there current clients and they are just focusing on SE cloud that is also in my option over priced. I will not recommend SE to anyone as I feel where the clients below are coming from I literally read every comment and I’m dissapointed in social engine because I see no reply from them. And I don’t even work for SE but yet I read every comment . CUSTOMER SEVICE IS EVERYTHING!! And social engine sucks at it,

117. Dee
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

VBulletin*

118. saii
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

i want SE to take it serious and deliver quality work
    instead of networks…….remove it and add users online that members can select….the continetns,countries,cities and start surfing

119. Molecular
    Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Dear social Engine Team, It is evident that many site owners have been very displeased with the new architectural model of your business plan. It is never to late to revert. In the past responding to contact e-mail was late but sufficient for many of us. Lately, that has been absent. What you guys need to do at this point is to upload your intended release version to your demo site before releasing it to site owners. On that note, we can determine if there are bugs. if you guys try to put your shoes in a site’s owner shoes you may understand the frustration. Do us this favor by doing just that. We will be greatly appreciated it if you guys are willing to do so.

120. Posted December 7, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Can’t upload music either. I sent a message asking to flush their cache in a test version. They just wanted me to file a ticket. You getting the same thing?

121. skidpics
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Anyone have any more problems? Thinking about upgrading now…

122. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

REALLY??? NO ANSWER FROM SE ABOUT THIS ISSUE???

Please read below and try it your self …

It looks that when you go to “Performance & Caching” and adjust this
    “Cache Lifetime” to like 70 and you check this “Flush cache?” and hit
    “Save Changes” that’s when after that we cant upload photos anymore……

123. Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

THis is not the case. Album is running 4.2.8 it wasnt upgraded by SocialEngine and Photouploads in IE does not work. If you use chrome you would not notice the issue. SE says it isnt a bug. Well it does not work in IE on my site or 2 others I know running IE. They want me to open a ticket.

124. Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

It is on all 4.28. Only Internet Explorer. Please test your album running 4.2.8 in IE.

125. Posted December 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Tell your users to use Chrome it seems to be working with it, not with IE. Please contact SE and tell them to look at this thread as tons of people have noticed this issue.

126. Posted December 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

BUG: Album 4.2.8 > Photos will not upload using Internet Explorer. I have tested it on my site as well as 2 more running the same version. Using Chrome it works fine.

I have emailed SocialEngine and they replied with I need to pay for support to report a bug.

What is this? I mean this has gotten bad. Please everyone with this issue, contact Social Engine.

127. freddy24
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I refuse to pay SE anymore money for support! I used it twice and it cost me $50 – and it took them a week to reply to each email and they couldn’t solve the problem. They blamed 3rd party plugins (which wasn’t the problem – it was related to core) and ended up without the problems solved. I will not bother anymore with poor service.

128. Rodrigo
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

I see an error on your demo site when browse classified (using my galaxy tab). http://demo.socialengine.net/classifieds
    Everything is normal if i use my laptop.
    It looks like your script not working well for android browser….

129. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 8:14 am | Permalink

I have and they are not caring, they are not even replying here. All the worry about is se cloud thats whats given them money.

130. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

ANY ONE HAS A COPY OF VERSION 4.2.7 …

Thanks

Share ›

Stan Man Renaldo Sanchez • 17 hours ago

Tell
    your users to use Chrome it seems to be working with it, not with IE.
    Please contact SE and tell them to look at this thread as tons of people
    have noticed this issue.

Share ›

Renaldo Sanchez Stan Man • a few seconds ago

131. Posted December 9, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Oh I see, I did not test it in IE yet but from top of my head the plugin uses flash upload which maybe the source of troubles.

132. skidpics
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Demo install – never used. Upgrade to 4.2.9 and this: We’re sorry!
    We are currently experiencing some technical issues. Please try again later.

Error code: 1a004e

Seriously?

133. skidpics
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

I upgraded to 4.2.9, it has an error, so downgraded to 4.2.8 – how do I go back up to 4.2.9? There isn’t a continue button as I can see to override the mysql statements below.

Query failed with error: Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate column name ‘search’
    Query failed with error: Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate column name ‘networks’

134. freddy24
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I have 4.2.7. Contact me and I’ll see what I can do for you..

135. kngri
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Yes that’s all they care about “SE Cloud”. This sh!t is for the birds. Thats to bad that they dont even reply to whats not working or the customers that have been with them for so many years …

“It looks that when you go to “Performance & Caching” and adjust this
    “Cache Lifetime” to like 70 and you check this “Flush cache?” and hit
    “Save Changes” that’s when after that we cant upload photos anymore……”

136. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Can I please get a copy of 4.2.7?

here is my email S4ch3z@gmail.com

Thanks

137. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

freddy24 can I please get the copy of SE 4.2.7?

Here is my email S4ch3z@gmail.com

Thanks

138. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

freddy24

Can I please get a copy of se 4.2.7 ?

Here is my email S4ch3z@gmail.com

Thanks

139. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

???

140. freddy24
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Hi, I have sent you an email.

141. Renaldo Sanchez
    Posted December 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks man. Sorry about the ??? My post was not showing :)

142. saii
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Vbuelliten seems extremely good and better than SE….
    OUTDATED AND LAZY FELLOWS OF BORING DIRTY SE ENGINEERS AND DEVELOPERS WHO LACK KNOWLEDGE….LEARN FROM VBULLETIN…….

143. saii
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Vbuelliten seems extremely good and better than SE….

144. kelvin
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Solution for me:

Go to application folder and open the index.php file. Somewhere at line 116, change

if (substr_count($_SERVER[‘HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING’], ‘gzip’)) ob_start(“ob_gzhandler”); else ob_start();

to this —>>>>

if (isset($_SERVER[‘HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING’]) && substr_count($_SERVER[‘HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING’], ‘gzip’)) ob_start(“ob_gzhandler”); else ob_start();

Photo upload will work on any browser. Hope this helps.

145. kelvin
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 6:27 am | Permalink

This worked for me:

to this —>>>>

Photo upload will work on any browser. Hope this helps.

146. kelvin
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 6:40 am | Permalink

This worked for me:

to this —>>>>

Photo upload will work on any browser. Hope this helps.

147. Ed Clarke
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

SE team where are you? I am thinking naming SE 5 to SE cloud is a bad idea. It is SE that has now got a bad name. Listen and respond to your customers who have supported you over the years or everyone like myself will go to phpfox or vbull. Think about it, you took so long to build this client base and now your going to destroy it. Please explain!

148. Ed Clarke
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:23 am | Permalink

many thanks. I have purchased to many licenses with SE, i have heard great things about phpfox. and the support is meant to be great also. Thanks again

149. Posted December 10, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Same issues here. Chrome is working for me as well but not IE or Firefox. All because of flushing the cache? This is pretty odd.

150. Dan
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Don’t bother guys their office is always closed on Monday’s, never ever have they rolled out an update nor gave a reply on Monday’s!

Tuesday’s is halved-baked-Ping-Pong day, meaning a few staff members playing Ping Pong all day long the others are off because they are freelancers I assume.

The rest of the working week (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) is a mystery, it doesn’t seem like an awful lot is happening those days either for SE PHP and support. My thoughts are, most of the supporting staff are off and some are working on SE Cloud and Fanmix shifts from 9 till 5 if not shorter.

Saturday, Sunday the office is closed, no support whatsoever.

It’s not rocket science to see these patterns, I’ve been with SE since 2008 and things only have gotten worse.

Management still does not understand that you have to give your all running a company and being a CEO, spending at the very least 60 to 70 hours a week managing your company and focusing on your core product and client base. Instead focus goes to allot of side projects that are no part of the core business, like Fanmix, Represent.la and what not. I’m not telling you how to run your company, because I don’t like to take things at a personal level, but this is just bad management and support, the ultimate recipe to failure.
    Please get your act together SE!

151. Posted December 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Wow this seems to have worked.. Thank you so much. Social Engine has only replied Buy Support 3 times now. They say this issue was only limited to my site. That no one else an issue. So I directed them here and they ignored it and said the same exact thing. WOW this has gotten bad

152. kelvin
    Posted December 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

You are welcome. I’m glad it worked!

153. Posted December 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Kevin, What about music upload? Also, system emails do not send out. Have you had the same problem? I have a brand new installation of 4.29. Worked fine for the first two days until I flushed the cache…

154. Posted December 11, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Thank you so much Kelvin! This seems to have solved all the issues. My system emails are now going out as well. How did you de-bug this?

155. Posted December 11, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I guess it was a temporary fix for system emails. They went out once but the task scheduler is now again not responding. Any thoughts on how to fix this issue with emails not sending?

156. Posted December 11, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Convert Language Pack CSV files to a PHP Array is not working after upgrade. when i select Translation Performance i t does not creat php Array file. SE what should i do?

157. kelvin
    Posted December 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

You are welcome. I’m glad to help. I had to look into my error log and figure it out.

158. Shalom
    Posted December 12, 2012 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Hi first of all, thank SE team for good update (4.2.9) all work good, but I have only one problem. I’m enabled on SE 4.2.8 (Admin Panel – Settings > Wibiya Integration) after update to SE 4.2.9 I decided remove Wibiya bar and I Don’t see in menu (Admin Panel – Settings > Wibiya Integration) ,,, so how I can now remove this Wibiya bar from my site?

Best regards, your customer since 2011

159. skidpics
    Posted December 12, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Anyone upgrade and it worked? Just want to make sure before I make the step. I had a problem with it on a dev copy already…

160. Bedard_Michel
    Posted December 13, 2012 at 1:41 am | Permalink

SE PHP 4.2.9 widget informs you not work.

161. Posted December 14, 2012 at 7:13 am | Permalink

After this upgrade my site is 10x faster, good job SE Team – Danny

162. benjaminmcavoy
    Posted December 15, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink

I have invested a lot of money in social engine in the last 2 years, every time I update, add a new module or even a wigett, there has always been an issue. I keep saying to myself that SE4 will improve etc, and keep myself hanging on. The only thing left I have to do, it to, save up and go else where, boonex or something..? I am very disappointed with SE4 altogether. Just to note, any outside third party plugins etc… should be researched by SE and earn rewards, as my experience with many is terrible.

163. Posted December 15, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

I see theres no information that your plugin will work with SocialEngineAddons plugins, which i think are best in market.. and my site hass all plugins from SEAddons

164. skidpics
    Posted December 15, 2012 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Well. this design.. is interesting: http://buddyboss.com/demo/

165. Louis Belcourt
    Posted December 16, 2012 at 3:33 am | Permalink

After updating to 4.2.9, when trying to edit site header in Layout editor I get the error “Internet explorer cannot display this page”. It worked in 4.2.8. Does anyone else has this problem? Is this related to the search icon on the header. The header display properly but I can’t edit the site header page.

166. Louis Belcourt
    Posted December 16, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Someone is happy. That is one of the positive comment in this blog. It’s encouraging to say the least. I wonder if you can do me a favour. After my upgrade to 4.2.9, I cannot access site header in the layout menu. I get the message internet explorer cannot display this page as if it does not exist. Your reply would help me access whether it is my windows configuration, internet explorer or something I have done. I hope you don’t mind. Since support from SE4 seems slow, maybe users could help each other in the benefit of all. I patiently wait for your replt. Cheers Louis

167. es7
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

If there are any conflicts with other plugins we resolve them asap upon request. I’m afraid it’s impossible for any team to buy all possibly plugins (500+) and test them all after every update.

Currently I don’t have any information about any issues between our plugins and plugins from other companies. We have quite a lot of installations of our plugins together with SEAddons plugins.

168. Posted December 17, 2012 at 2:25 am | Permalink

I need Slider with dynamic content – which fetch and display data from any plugin. Not static one. As I talked to your Skype Contact member Yana T. this is a static data slider and i need to upload slider images by myself. So thanks for your offer, but it is not what i am looking for

169. es7
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 2:43 am | Permalink

Krzysztof, could you drop me an email to eugene@webhive.com.ua? I think we might get it done for you as a customization.

170. superbase
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Trying to upgrade to 4.2.9 but coming with this problem:

Left message to SE few days back. No response. How bad service can get!

171. Ryan Olson
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Well all, not even a blog update since Dec 4th. Are we all to guess SocialEngine is out of business?

172. Posted December 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

yeah, you should absolutely focus on se cloud…

173. ZwaZo
    Posted December 23, 2012 at 7:51 am | Permalink

There is a bug thai I have identified on the plugin got with the 4.2.9 and confirmed by SE support : If a user set a music listss as “private” or “friends” only, the music list is still fully accessible for everyone, even to the non-registered users… SE promised to fix it in the next release… but got no confirmation of when it will be fixed.

cheers !

174. Posted December 28, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Hey guys … is anyone have the same problem?
    I did a fresh install without any modules … when im using default template is working good in production mode and also development mode but when im switching to clean template my .css is not working anymore in development mode.
    Any advise please ?

175. Posted December 28, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Wow! Are things really that bad here?

I have been comparing social network platforms recently and SocialEngine PHP seemed like a sure fit, even after talking to Viv in sales I thought if I could get the cash together that I’d go with this platform.

It pretty much has everything I need, from hosting the trial version it seems to work fine too. I was considering adding some of the Hire Experts plugins to get it to do what I wanted along with their Store.

But seeing all the negative feedback here, I’m not so sure now :-/

176. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

thought it was SE for a second. Nice, only $60 dollars.

177. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

yes, another SE problem. what you have to do is go to your themes/clean/images folder (ftp or cpanel) and upload a transparent image called icon_explore.png . Will solve the problem. This missing image causes a css problem in development mode.

178. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

mmm, If you plan on never making any modifications, upgrades, etc to your SE you might be fine. However, if you make an upgrade you will almost certainly break SE if the developer is not familiar with the platform. Do not pay for SE support, they will tell you that they can’t help you because of the third party upgrades you have made and keep your support help money.

179. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the club bud

180. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Bummer, that’s like 2 solid third party plugins.

181. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Why are you surprised that they do not answer? You guys are rude to them. I will now take over the super important role of ‘disqus comment answerer’ . sorry drew , you are out of a job.

182. Posted December 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

upgrading sounds like a superb idea skid!! kudos on that.

183. Posted December 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Splendid, Mole!

184. Posted December 29, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

You have two options. 1.hope , 2. freelancer.com

185. Posted December 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Dee, i have tested the actual vbulletin demo and it’s okay. The video trailer they made for it really over hyped it. Similar to a girl who takes photos of all of her best angles for FB but when you see her in person …. the full version…. you’re kinda disappointed.

186. Shalom
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Problem with mail notification, mails not send!

I checked

1) Changed to SMTP (Not Help)

2) in Task scheduler – changed from cURL to java (Not Help)

Please help me, day ago all worked Ok ?!

187. Shalom
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 12:10 am | Permalink

SMTP settings Ok becuse it works on Outlook !

188. Shalom
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Yes I have also problem with emails do not send out

189. Ego
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Hello, I purchased an SE license about a month ago. It turns out that I should have read these reviews on SE first.

Now, i noticed many bugs with the Edit links on admin panel. I cannot edit ANYTHING on my installation as the links dont work. I have reported this repeatedly to get support from the SE team. Yet, they (Richard especially) wont provide any help. Instead, it seems they want me to pay to resolve their bugs. Is this right?? I’m absolutely shocked right now at the treatment from SE and i’ve sent several emails with screeenshots only to receive unhelpful responses.

Has anyone faced this issue before? Please advise on whether i should dump the entire software and buy the vBulletin license. I’m going to keep on sending the emails requesting support to SE hoping for a resolution.

Very very disappointed that SE turned out to be such a difficult experience.

190. freddy24
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear your story Ego. We all have experienced the same thing. Pay for support or you’ll not get any help – but when you do pay, you get standard cut-and-paste responses saying problem lies with your server or third-party plugins. Their core is never the problem (even though it’s riddled with bugs!) Go with vBulletin. SEphp is rubbish!

191. freddy24
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

How could they miss this simple problem? Is there no testing at all carried out?

192. freddy24
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Don’t upgrade!!!!!! SEphp 4.2.9 is a lemon! Haven’t you read the comments here about endless problems?

193. Ego
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

hi Freddy. many thanks for taking the time to comment on this and for the advice. on vBulletin: in your experience, is the support better??

194. freddy24
    Posted January 1, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Ego. Yes. vBulletin support is excellent. They guarantee responses to enquires within a few hours – (and it’s included in the price!) They also have a forum which is very helpful.

195. skidpics
    Posted January 2, 2013 at 5:56 am | Permalink

As I read, I don’t see many problems. and honestly, most problems are being caused by 3rd party addons and tweaking the code.. Upgraded and works like a charm.

196. Posted January 3, 2013 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Had the same issue a little while back. I had never experienced it before but decided to contact my hosting provider and ask them to do one of the following based on if the server is linux or windows. I have a linux server so the hosting provider configured the php.ini – sendmail_path. All has worked well since asking them to do this. The notification emails are a little slower than they once were but they are working nonetheless. Hope this helps.

Linux Server

The sendmail path may be incorrectly configured (php.ini –
    sendmail_path). Consult with your host to insure that this directive has
    been set properly.

Windows Server

There are several possible reasons emails are not being sent if you are on a Windows server:

SMTP server’s host may not be set correctly (php.ini – SMTP). default: localhost

SMTP server’s port may not be set correctly (php.ini – smtp_port). default: 25

If the above fails, try setting the address you want your emails to be sent from (php.ini – sendmail_from). default: NULL

If your email is getting marked as spam or not being delivered,
    obtain an SPF Sender ID for your domain. Note that you must be able to
    modify your DNS record to do this. Lastly, try to refrain from using
    words that might trigger spam filters (anything that might be linked to
    advertising, e.g. viagra, buy, cheap, enlargement)

197. Jorge Ricardo
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 6:29 am | Permalink

After upgrading SE V 4.2.9 PHP the following features are not working: any default email notificacion, emailing all members, search bar give error, contact form is not working. What do you suggest me guys ?

198. Jorge Ricardo
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Hello Everybody!!!

199. Jorge Ricardo
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 6:32 am | Permalink

After upgrading PHP VERSION SE 429 some features are not working: default emails notifications. emailing all members, search bar, contact form. what do u suggest to do guys??

200. es7
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Stuart, this platform is still a pretty good investment. Just try not to overload it with dozens of plugins. And choose at least good VPS as a hosting.

201. HIFIDEV
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Is there a reason why the embed videos doesn’t work with Vimeo on Apple Devices (iPad, iPhone, and iPod)
    If we manually use embed codes the Vimeo video will show up and play. But if we upload a video using “Post a Video” it doesnt show at all. What’s the matter with the Video Plugin?

202. Shalom
    Posted January 5, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Mails not send!
    I cheked all Ok on php.ini !
    I think main problem on task scheduler, because it not responding jobs. I must add my other sites on serever sent email Ok,,,,

203. Shalom
    Posted January 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hi thank for ansher,,,, but it not help :( But when I not use email que, but instant sending – all work Ok…and if I use email que, mails not sending

204. Shalom
    Posted January 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

When I not use email que, but instant sending – all work Ok…and if I use email que, mails not sending, who know – what to do ?

205. Dan
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 3:36 am | Permalink

Nomaly during this period of the year there was at least a happy new year message, what’s going on SE team, what happend to the open communication?

206. Posted January 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

They still respond to people on Twitter and Facebook. Send your messages there (links are in footer)

207. Posted January 9, 2013 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. We’ll aim for Mondays for SE PHP releases.

208. Posted January 9, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Good suggestion. We’ve opted to use jQuery in SE Cloud. It’s actually too late for us to implement jQuery in SE PHP since hundreds of third-party mods have already been created and depend on how we’ve already built SE PHP. But again, we are definitely using jQuery in SE Cloud.

209. Posted January 9, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Sorry for the lack of communication over the last few weeks. We underwent some major restructuring at SE and the holidays knocked out part of December. We are back in action with some big updates coming this week.