SocialEngine PHP 4.8 Released

Good news everyone! We recently released SocialEngine PHP 4.8 with feature updates and bug fixes. Following are the notes for the SocialEngine PHP 4.8.0 release:

Features:

• Option to hide subscription plans for users after they sign up
  • Upgraded Zend Framework to v1.12.3
  • Improved the robustness of the email queue
  • Improved compatibility with older FFMpeg versions
  • Added bot sign-up mitigation

Bugs fixed:

• Polls search options
  • Archive_Tar compatibility problems with PHP v5.5
  • JavaScript injection in the photo albums
  • Some PHP warnings
  • PayPal gateway testing function
  • Quote button in the forum
  • Forum search input placeholder
  • Forum deletion problem
  • Profile-Friends widget problem
  • Image preview size for mobile
  • Video module and SSL
  • Double announcements
  • 404 for /widget
  • Added missing phrases to the translation files
  • Twitter API changes
  • Music sharing in the Activity Feed
  • ReCaptcha for SSL
  • Facebook/Twitter/Janrain sign in redirection
  • Notifications bug when sharing music on the Activity Feed
  • ReCaptcha for sign ins
  • Inbox/notifications breaking after disabling modules

SocialEngine clients can grab the new SE PHP 4.8.0 code from the client area. Remember to make a *complete* backup of your installation before performing an upgrade. If you’ve made significant custom changes to your source code, remember that they could pose problems during the upgrade process, so enlist a developer to help you if you’re not comfortable with the process yourself.

Reminder, please submit any feature or bug requests for SE PHP to our public bug and feature request tracker.

I want to thank everyone for their continued enthusiasm for the future SocialEngine.

James

UPDATE: As a reminder we do have an upgrade service available for $150. You can purchase it from your customer account at socialengine.com.

1. jammers
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

This is encouraging….looking forward to testing this out in my dev environment.
    Thanks for your hard work.

2. John
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

This is awesome guys. Thank you! Looking forward to whats next. My faith in SocialEngine is beginning to renew once again.

3. Serious
    Posted March 31, 2014 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Performed the upgrade and everything is working fine so far. With this upgrade I noticed mentioned in the Features section two things I am very interested in learning more about:

Option to hide subscription plans for users after they sign up
    Added bot sign-up mitigation

I would like to know more about these features and how to ensure I am taking Full Advantage of their capabilities. Where might I find this information?

4. PokerBook
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:22 am | Permalink

I love updates! :) Anyway would love to see users to be able to post animated .gif at statuses and comments as option, also picture in comments and edit comments would be great! Thanks and good luck!

5. Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Backing up and updating. thanks for all your hard work guys :)

6. Posted April 1, 2014 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Good work James! Keep improving the core.
    PS. I wonder why you don’t post these announcements on your facebook/twitter?

7. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Hello I’ve been trying to get a hold of someone at SE and have been unable to reach them. When I leave a message or send e-mail I’m not even receiving an e-mail that they received the ticket. Please call me Mike Malast 570.200.5032 – I also tried to extend support and it wouldn’t authorize. Thank you

8. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

You’re welcome John.

9. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Sounds like we should write a few more blogs on the feature sets.

10. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Thanks. Be sure to add any feature requests to our public feature/bug tracker at http://bugs.socialengine.com/projects/se-php
    …because we look there for feature needs and requests.

11. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:27 am | Permalink

You’re welcome

12. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Thanks – and damn good point about social posting. As of 4/1 we have a new community management team and I forgot to update them on this announcement going out – my fault.

13. Posted April 1, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Hi Mike. I’ve notified support. Someone should be reaching out to you shortly.

14. Posted April 1, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I was feeling as if something was coming! Thank you! Wait, this isn’t an April Fools joke is it? LOL. Was going to make a suggestion but I see yours about doing so at the bug tracker site. So, off I go! Keep up the good work!

15. Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Ha – we are not joking. :) Thanks for using the feature/bug tracker.

16. Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Kudos SocialEngine Team for keeping up with your promise and coming up with a great release so quickly! The features & fixes released in this upgrade were long needed.

17. David
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    I have just downloaded the update 4.8.0.
    Do I upload this like a plugin… in the Package Manager/Manage Packages?

Thanks

David

18. Posted April 2, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Keep up the good work! James are you in the CO office or the WA?

19. Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Thanks – I’m on CO

20. Posted April 2, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Yes you upload it like a plug in.

This article will help you to upgrade your SocialEngine installation and troubleshoot some common problems.

21. Posted April 3, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I updated to 4.8.0 and now when logging into my SE website with the Facebook integration feature, it routes to an error or white page unless you close the browser and reopen it. See the attached screenshot. Prior to the upgrade, it worked properly. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

22. Posted April 3, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Hi Mick. We are looking into it now. Thanks for the heads up. Always feel free to post any bugs to our official bug tracker at bugs.socialengine.com as that is where are developers are pulling bug reports.

23. Posted April 3, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thank you James.

24. Posted April 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Mick,

We were unable to recreate the issue on our end. Would you be willing to open up a support ticket for us to look into it? As this came up with the 4.8 release if we find it’s our issue we’ll refund.

James

25. jammers
    Posted April 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Yep, install via admin panel.
    If it hangs on upload or decompression you can ftp the tarball file to
    /yourSEinstallfolder/temporary/package/archives

Then you can follow the regular install process from the url: http://www.yoursite.com/install/manage/select

26. Rachid El Hatri
    Posted April 4, 2014 at 4:54 am | Permalink

Hi James,
    Don’t forget to upgrade the live demo, it’s still Version 4.5.0 !

Good Work 😉

27. Posted April 4, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks Rachid.

28. Ferry
    Posted April 16, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Wauw nice change jamesoclark, i remember the time when if there was a bug we still had to pay for the support. Now your willing to refund if the problem is at your side. That’s really a compliment :) keep up the good work and service

29. Posted April 16, 2014 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ferry

30. RickVR
    Posted April 27, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

When will SE do an update to SE Cloud? It needs some fixes and features as well.