Our SocialEngine team is pleased to announce the release of SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 RC1! We have been working very hard to bring you some great new features, improvements, bug fixes, and updates.
Improvements from Beta1 and Beta2
- Profile Types – Updated to allow admin to map Profile Types to Member Levels.
- Networks – Improved privacy in order to allow members to select a network to post to or multiple networks to post to.
- Smileys/emoticon support – Added smiley support to status post. This will allow your members to express their emotions dain a visual format as seen on many social networks.
- Added required fields asterisks -This will improve the user experience when joining your site or filling in required fields on their profiles.
- User Mentions – That’s right! We’ve added user mentions so that you can tag your friends in a status post by using the “@” symbol with the user name (such as @chiefevangelist).
- Profile, Event and Group Banners – To help spice up your Profiles, Events and Groups!
- Updated Profile Question Fields – Removed AIM as a default question on new installs. AIM is still available as an optional question. Added these popular options:
- LinkedIn Personal
- LinkedIn Company
- YouTube Channel
- YouTube User
- Soundcloud User
- Spotify User
- last.fm User
- goodreads Profile
- flickr Profile
- Enhanced privacy on Member Browse – For private profiles, the profile photo in the member browse page will show a default “Private Profile” image. Added a “Block Member” button in order for members to be able to block members with private profiles.
- Hashtags – Added hashtag support and tag cloud widget to display popular tags for easier searching. This allows members to find similar content and can increase user engagement. This includes adding hashtag support for photos.
- New Emoticons – We’ve got some nice new emoticons for the status posts! Many thanks to SocialEngineSolutions for their generous contribution of these super emoticons!
Improvements in RC1
- Add SKU to Developer SDK – To make it easier for experts to create their awesome certified plugins!
- Update requirements checklist to add “allow_url_fopen” and “openssl” for installs.
- Added phrase in Settings > General Settings > Portal Page setting to add a description that the setting only controls the landing page and not individual modules such as blog, photo, etc.
- Added Google Charts for site stats in Admin panel due to flash removal.
- Fixed – photos uploaded from iPhone were showing sideways on mobile devices.
- Fixed – updated compatibility with PHP 7.2. *See “Notes” below
- Fixed – notifications for private groups were still being sent to members who left the group.
- Fixed – new profile type showed as “female” upon creation.
- Fixed – sessions were not being deleted for users when they logged out, causing a large session table. Added a task “Session Maintenance” in task manager to clean engine4_core_session table from old values.
- Fixed – empty choice in video drop down selection at Video Source.
A complete changelog is available for more details about the changes and fixes implemented in this beta version.
You can download your copy of version 4.10 RC1 from your client account. Fresh installs should follow this installation tutorial or you can order an installation ticket and our team will get it installed in no time! As this is an RC release, we recommend using it for a “Beta” or development community or a new site, until it reaches a stable version. We do not recommend upgrading a live, established site with an RC release. Our upgrade service does not include upgrades to an RC as we have not included an upgrade file.
To download the RC1 version of your purchased SocialEngine official plugins, please go to each plugin (such as https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/photo-albums ) and click the “Releases” tab. There, you will see the SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 RC1 download for the SocialEngine plugins that you’ve purchased. The following plugins were updated to RC1: Album, Classified, Event, Group, Music, Video. Please do not upgrade an established site with the RC plugins until we release a stable version.
- This version requires your server have a minimum PHP 5.6.31 or above.
- There are some known issues with PHP 7.2 that we are working on. We recommend using PHP 7.1.12 instead of PHP 7.2 until stable release.
From everyone here at the SocialEngine team, thank you for your enduring support and we really hope you love SocialEngine PHP 4.10 RC1 as much as we do!
With Great Appreciation,
The SocialEngine Team