Our SocialEngine team is pleased to announce the release of SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 Beta1! We have been working very hard to bring you some great new features, improvements, bug fixes, and updates. Let’s take a more in-depth look at our new features and improvements.
- Profile Types – Updated to allow admin to map Profile Types to Member Levels.
- Networks – Improved privacy in order to allow members to select a network to post to or multiple networks to post to.
- Smileys/emoticon support – Added smiley support to status post. This will allow your members to express their emotions dain a visual format as seen on many social networks.
- Added required fields asterisks -This will improve the user experience when joining your site or filling in required fields on their profiles.
- User Mentions – That’s right! We’ve added user mentions so that you can tag your friends in a status post by using the “@” symbol with the user name (such as @chiefevangelist).
- Profile, Event and Group Banners – To help spice up your Profiles, Events and Groups!
- Updated Profile Question Fields – Removed AIM as a default question on new installs. AIM is still available as an optional question. Added these popular options:
- LinkedIn Personal
- LinkedIn Company
- YouTube Channel
- YouTube User
- Soundcloud User
- Spotify User
- last.fm User
- goodreads Profile
- flickr Profile
- Enhanced privacy on Member Browse – For private profiles, the profile photo in the member browse page will show a default “Private Profile” image. Added a “Block Member” button in order for members to be able to block members with private profiles.
- Fixed Poll truncation issue – Increased characters displayed from 80 to 150 characters.
- Fixed IM footer chat CSS issue that caused a scroll bar and caused the text not to show in Firefox browser when typing.
- Fixed File & Media manager – Added support for https URLs.
- Added support for missing languages.
- Fixed photo deletion issue where “likes” and “comments” were not being deleted with the photo deletion.
- Fixed issue with auto-detection of Locale and with blank language packs being created when no support for that pack exists. If there is no support for the selected locale, a notice will show in the Language Manager and the pack will default to English.
- Fixed hard coded phrases:
- Events > topic > “said”
- Group > widgets > profile-discussion > “View all %s Topics”
- Activity Feed > “edited”
- Messages > “No Results” and “message matches your response”
- User > Profile Info widget > “Profile Type”
- Group – fixed “Delete Category” and “Are you sure that you want to delete this category? It will not be recoverable after being deleted.”
- Albums > Photo View > “Added”
- Blogs > “%s Comment”;”%s Comment”;”%s Comments” and “%s Like”;”%s Like”;”%s Likes” added to core.csv for use in other areas when needed.
- Fixed issue where MaxCDN url in description was breaking secure lock in Admin Panel “General” settings.
- Fixed – Removed privacy setting from First Name/Last Name fields due to confusion as this privacy was only for the user profile display. As these are intended to be the displayed names on the site, this was the best option we had in order to preserve site functionality. To have private name fields, we suggest you make your own and set them to “Hide on Member Browse” and “Hide on Profile” and this will allow only the member and admins to see the data.
- Fixed blog thumbnail CSS issue with images cutting off.
- Fixed blog CSS issue with list numbers/bullets not displaying on mobile.
- Fixed blog paragraph spacing issue.
- Fixed blog quote issue by adding “blockquote” to allowed tags. This will only update for member levels on fresh installs. For upgrades, you will manually need to add the blockquote tag to allowed html per member level in the blog settings if you want to allow this. We felt this was the best option for upgrading sites in case admins had already set allowed html tags.
- Fixed blockquote issue in group discussions.
- Fixed spelling error at: ~/admin/payment/settings => “Do you want to enable subscriptions immedately after payment, before the payment passes the gateways’ fraud checks?”
- Added link to Wiki definition for “grandfather” at ~/admin/payment/package/create => “Can members choose this plan? Please note that disabling this plan will grandfather in existing plan members until they pick a new plan.”
- Fixed issue with notification popup not opening due to “DetectMobileQuick is not defined” error.
- Fixed issue in IE 11 with notification mini menu icons that were not showing.
You can also browse the complete changelog for more details about the changes and fixes implemented in this beta version.
You can download your copy of version 4.10beta1 from your client account. To download Beta1 of your purchased SocialEngine official plugins, please go to each plugin (such as https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/photo-albums ) and click the “Releases” tab. There, you’ll see the SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 Beta1 download.
As this is a beta release, it is for testing purposes only and not for upgrades. Fresh installs should follow this installation tutorial or you can order an installation ticket and our team will get it installed in no time! As this is a beta release, we recommend using it for a “Beta” or development community until it reaches an RC (Release Candidate) version.
- This version requires your server have a minimum PHP 5.6.31 or above.
Coming in Beta2:
- Hashtags – Added hashtag support and tag cloud widget to display popular tags for easier searching. This allows members to find similar content and can increase user engagement.
- Add SKU to Developer SDK – To make it easier for experts to create their awesome certified plugins!
If you find any issues, please let us know by filing a bug report in our Bug Tracker. We’d like to encourage you to stay connected with the community.
From everyone here at the SocialEngine team, thank you for your enduring support and we really hope you love this update as much as we do!
With Great Appreciation,
The SocialEngine Team