Our SocialEngine team is pleased to announce the release of SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 Beta2! We have been working very hard to bring you some great new features, improvements, bug fixes, and updates. Let’s take a more in-depth look at what Beta2 has to offer.
Improvements from Beta1
- Profile Types – Updated to allow admin to map Profile Types to Member Levels.
- Networks – Improved privacy in order to allow members to select a network to post to or multiple networks to post to.
- Smileys/emoticon support – Added smiley support to status post. This will allow your members to express their emotions dain a visual format as seen on many social networks.
- Added required fields asterisks -This will improve the user experience when joining your site or filling in required fields on their profiles.
- User Mentions – That’s right! We’ve added user mentions so that you can tag your friends in a status post by using the “@” symbol with the user name (such as @chiefevangelist).
- Profile, Event and Group Banners – To help spice up your Profiles, Events and Groups!
- Updated Profile Question Fields – Removed AIM as a default question on new installs. AIM is still available as an optional question. Added these popular options:
- LinkedIn Personal
- LinkedIn Company
- YouTube Channel
- YouTube User
- Soundcloud User
- Spotify User
- last.fm User
- goodreads Profile
- flickr Profile
- Enhanced privacy on Member Browse – For private profiles, the profile photo in the member browse page will show a default “Private Profile” image. Added a “Block Member” button in order for members to be able to block members with private profiles.
Improvements in Beta2
- Hashtags – Added hashtag support and tag cloud widget to display popular tags for easier searching. This allows members to find similar content and can increase user engagement. This includes adding hashtag support for photos.
- New Emoticons – We’ve got some nice new emoticons for the status posts! Many thanks to SocialEngineSolutions for their generous contribution of these super emoticons!
- Fixed – issue with 2checkout not cancelling cancelled subscriptions.
- Fixed – super admin or staff not able to see private items in the feed when settings are set to allow viewing private items.
- Fixed – photos in albums were showing in ASC order. Changed to DESC order so that new photos could be seen easier in large albums.
- Fixed – small CSS issue with plugin menu tabs if plugin has second row of menus.
- Fixed hard coded phrases:
in the topic %1$s
in the forum %1$s
- User Privacy Settings:
- File Manager:
- File already exists. Please %s before trying to upload.
- Fixed – notification background issue on active status.
- Fixed – file manager UI issue when uploading files. Added border.
- Fixed – user icon in “Quicklinks” widget.
- Fixed – added required asterisk to Events and Videos where needed.
You can also browse the complete changelog for more details about the changes and fixes implemented in this beta version.
You can download your copy of version 4.10 Beta2 from your client account. To download the Beta2 version of your purchased SocialEngine official plugins, please go to each plugin (such as https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/photo-albums ) and click the “Releases” tab. There, you will see the SocialEngine PHP 4.10.0 Beta2 download for the SocialEngine plugins that you’ve purchased.
As this is a beta release, it is for testing purposes only and not for upgrades on live sites. To upgrade a development site, please view our upgrade documentation . Upgrades from our support are not available for live sites for beta versions. You can order an upgrade for your development site if you need our team to do it for you and your development site is installed on a server (per the license terms).
Fresh installs should follow this installation tutorial or you can order an installation ticket and our team will get it installed in no time! As this is a beta release, we recommend using it for a “Beta” or development community until it reaches a Release Candidate version.
- Please make sure that you do a complete backup of both files and database before performing this upgrade. Please have the backup performed by your host or a developer if you’re not comfortable with performing it yourself.
- This version requires your server have a minimum PHP 5.6.31 or above.
Coming in RC1:
- Add SKU to Developer SDK – To make it easier for experts to create their awesome certified plugins!
- Update requirements checklist.
If you find any issues, please let us know by filing a bug report in our Bug Tracker. We’d like to encourage you to stay connected with the community.
From everyone here at the SocialEngine team, thank you for your enduring support and we really hope you love this update as much as we do!
With Great Appreciation,
The SocialEngine Team