We are very happy to announce the release of SocialEngine PHP 5.4.0! This release adds improvements, bug fixes and more!
We have some really exciting news with this release! In an effort to streamline the install and upgrade process, we have removed the license check. We still have a licensed product, but the callback checks have been removed. This decision comes after considering client feedback regarding issues with license checks and the overall negative view of callbacks. We encourage all third party experts to follow us in removal of license callbacks. In fact, we hear that SocialNetworking.Solutions is already working towards this goal!
Features and Improvements:
- Improved classified view to a sleek, modern design.
- Improved music by adding WAV file type.
- Improved widgets with a setting to “Hide on Responsive Mobile” which will hide or display the widget when browsing on mobile devices using mobile browser, depending on the setting chosen.
- Improve images for Facebook and Twitter login.
- Added admin setting for photo album sort order.
- Added privacy setting for birthday so that admin can set which user groups can control whether the user can choose to show Month/Day/Year or Month/Day.
- Added setting for user when changing password to log out of all other devices. This enhances security for the user.
- Improved notification drop down UI to add user thumbnail or item type thumbnail.
Following is a list of fixes in this release and also in minor patch releases as noted:
- Fixed – Log in redirect not working.
- Fixed – Subscribe menu not showing for sites with only free subscriptions.
- Fixed – In some scenarios, users were getting server error on sign up with photos.
- Fixed – SameSite attribute for non-HTTPS sites. This was fixed for HTTPS sites previously.
- Fixed – Log in redirect issue for HTTPS.
- Fixed – phpFox importer issues.
- Fixed – Recaptcha v3 for log in and sign up.
- Fixed – User mentions were not pulling all users with the criteria of the mention.
- Fixed – Forum replies not in activity feed. (Released in 5.3.3)
- Fixed – Dark mode pagination. (Released in 5.3.3)
- Fixed – Removed “Apply Changes” in photo upload as it wasn’t necessary and caused client confusion. (Released in 5.3.3)
- Fixed – Removed extra banners added when uploading. (Released in 5.3.3)
- Improved – Removed Xcache from cache settings as it was no longer needed. (Released in 5.3.3)
- Improved – Post character feed limit design update. (Released in 5.3.2)
- Fixed – Hashtag results pages throws error when viewed as guest. (Released in 5.3.2)
- Fixed – Serenity choices overwritten on upgrade. (Released in 5.3.2)
- Fixed – Group photos empty when viewed but shows count. (Released in 5.3.2)
- Fixed – View more issue in feed caused user photo to appear as logo. (Released in 5.3.1)
- Fixed – Subscription error with missing column. (Released in 5.3.1)
- Fixed – Subscription manage transactions empty. (Released in 5.3.1)
- Mobile App Fixes and Improvements:
- YouTube videos not playing on Android
- Playing song crashes iOS
As always we highly encourage all users to do a complete backup of both files and database before performing this upgrade. Please have the backup performed by your host or a developer if you’re not comfortable with performing it yourself. Always check with third party experts for compatibility with any products you use before upgrading.
Important: If you are on version 4.9.4p1 or below, you will need to follow the special steps in the upgrading documents linked below before upgrading and apply the patch mentioned.
You can download your copy of version 5.4.0 from your client dashboard. New clients will see the download available. For clients still using v4 of the SocialEngine PHP platform, you would need to first purchase the v5 upgrade in order to access the latest version.
Fresh installs should follow our installation tutorial or you can order an installation ticket and our team will get it installed in no time! To upgrade from a previous version to 5.4.0, please view our upgrade documentation.
With Great Appreciation,
The SocialEngine Team